Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting pretty frustrated with the rev-hang in this car, very frustrated.. I’m very heavily considering going stage 1 with the COBB Accessport to make the car more enjoyable to drive for my daily duties, but I know if something happens to the engine that I’ll be SOL on the warranty.. I don’t beat on my cars, I will give it some spirited pulls every once in awhile but I don’t fly around everywhere all willy-nilly. I don’t know much about these cars yet, I’ve never been into them before I bought mine, so I’m pretty clueless at this point on these cars and their engines. I’m just trying to find out, like what are the odds here that I go stage 1 and having an issue with my engine?.. I’m not trying to build a race car or anything, I just want it to be tolerable while daily driving, because it’s getting kind of annoying at this point.

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
Honestly, if it tanks it would have tanked without the tune.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How many miles do you have? I have heard some say to get over 10k to give time for factory defects to present themselves. Im in the same boat, I want to do it but I really dont want a hassle with a warranty claim thus, I have not done it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The rev hang is pretty annoying. But you can midigate it by reving higher before you engage a gear and regullarly rev match when changing gears. Getting stiffer tanamission mounts, pitch stop mount, and maybe even engine mounts and a positive shift kit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just do it.

You will easily see people run COBB OTS maps with over 50k miles, and also people completely stock have rod knock at 10k.

Just keep an eye on oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m just barely over 2k miles.. I am very close to ordering it TODAY.. it would just really suck to realize after the fact that I got some kind of lemon lol. That’s all I’m worried about. What’s it cost on average to get one of these engines rebuilt?.. just curious.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’m just barely over 2k miles.. I am very close to ordering it TODAY.. it would just really suck to realize after the fact that I got some kind of lemon lol. That’s all I’m worried about. What’s it cost on average to get one of these engines rebuilt?.. just curious.
I would definitely get at least one or two oil changes before getting an AP. That's just me.

The only downside to AP, as far as performance, is that you're car may run a bit more rich than the stock tune.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Cobb's OTS maps aren't terrible. But they are far from great. Are they safe? For the most part, yes. What XJ said pretty much hit the nail on the head. Especially at Stage 1. If your engine goes it was from a pre-existing issue, not from the tune. However, with the ecu being recalibrated with the new tune, 9 out of 10 times a warranty claim will be denied.

You need to understand that Cobb designs these maps to be safe on all cars specified for the map. Meaning that thousands of other wrx's are using the same map you are. Cobb makes the maps run slightly rich and not very aggressive to able to safely run on any car regardless of altitude or any other factor.

Although the map from Cobb is a lot better than the stock map, it will still leave a lot to be desired. Hence why people pay the money for a pro-tune. Pro-tunes are the best because a professional tuner is tuning the exact car for the modifications it has and dialing it in accordingly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would definitely get at least one or two oil changes before getting an AP. That's just me.

The only downside to AP, as far as performance, is that you're car may run a bit more rich than the stock tune.
I did an oil change at 1k miles... should I wait until I hit 5k miles and do my next oil change? Do you feel like 5k miles is sufficient enough?.. I’d really like to order the AP through MAPerformance and get their free tune and get a Mishimoto intake to go with it, thoughts?... thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did an oil change at 1k miles... should I wait until I hit 5k miles and do my next oil change? Do you feel like 5k miles is sufficient enough?.. I’d really like to order the AP through MAPerformance and get their free tune and get a Mishimoto intake to go with it, thoughts?... thanks.
I usually do oil changes between 3000-3500. It's not entirely necessary to do in such short intervals, but I like to be safe. I'm just getting the AP through MAP and have about 9300 miles on the car. Their Stage 1 tune does not support the intake, so it will likely run like garbage with their tune.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, I guess I found some bad info, I read that their tune works with 3 intakes, ETS, Perrin and Mishimoto. That was the reason I was gonna go with it. I don’t know if I can wait until almost 10k miles, that would probably be next spring for me lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hmm, I guess I found some bad info, I read that their tune works with 3 intakes, ETS, Perrin and Mishimoto. That was the reason I was gonna go with it. I don’t know if I can wait until almost 10k miles, that would probably be next spring for me lol.
Go to their website, read the FAQ's, on the stage 1 tune. Many people ask if certain intakes work on their stage 1, and its not supported. Their stage 1 tune is made for completely stock cars, with the exception of a catback exhaust.

The reason why you may see those intakes working with OTS tunes, because these intakes claim that you don't need a "tune" with install. Take it with a grain of salt. Putting an intake on OTS map, can mess up the MAF scaling, and cause your car to lean out, amongst other things. Also, I wouldn't even be doing intake as my first mod, unless I'm doing TGV/EGR deletes, and EBCS, which then would require E-tune/Pro tune.
"

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

I would put 10k on any car before tuning it to rule out any manufacturing defect etc.
As for the AP, It runs leaner than the stock tune afaik, Richer than a pro tune tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So then the AP +BIG SF Intake would also be a bad idea?.. since I’m not doing TGV/EGR deletes and EBCS?

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you buy the AP from MAP, you can still run Cobb OTS maps, they just throw in their stage 1 tune as an added bonus. AP + Big SF intake works on Cobb OTS maps, however I don't think Maperformance stage 1 maps will support that intake.

Just go on Cobbs website, and see what intakes are supported with the OTS maps if you really want to install one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, I get it.. that was my original plan, since I was already going to get the AP, figured I’d get the intake as well.. the.ln I found out about MAPerformance throwing in one of their tunes and read that it was better than the COBB tune, and what I read which was obviously wrong about their tune working with certain intakes only, so that’s why I was going to go with the MAPerformance and Mishimoto intake.

So I can go with my original plan of the AP and +Big SF intake and just use the Cobb tune. But wanted to make sure that was going to be alright since I’m not doing the deletes and stuff like you mentioned. Otherwise I’ll just get the AP and call it a day, for now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, you can run the intake that is specified for their tune.

You don't have to do the deletes. I just feel like if you're going to get an intake, you can do the deletes as one big mod. The deletes themselves are cheap. What you'll spend more money on is the tune required after.

·
Registered
338 Posts
why not buy the MAP intake? Their tune makes more power than Cobb and their tune works with their intake.

Read COBBs site and Phatbotti's site FAQ. They have a great list of parts and info for FA20 mods. Lots of great info there. Understanding for yourself is a lot safer and cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
why not buy the MAP intake? Their tune makes more power than Cobb and their tune works with their intake.

Read COBBs site and Phatbotti's site FAQ. They have a great list of parts and info for FA20 mods. Lots of great info there. Understanding for yourself is a lot safer and cheaper in the long run.
I didn’t realize they had an intake, I don’t see it on their site.. I’ll check out those sites when I get a chance, thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
https://phatbottituning.com/faq-u

Something is up with MAPs site. ITs there, and when you go to click on it, the page changes and it goes away as if it wasn't there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts