ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is the difference between the V1 and V2 access port other than how the new ones look. Can you do more with the V2s, do they have more maps or are the V1s limited in how much you can tune. I am asking this because I found a V1 for a descent price and basically wanna know if I should spend the extra cash on a V2 or if there are no major differences.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Red_Dragon said:
What exactly is the difference between the V1 and V2 access port other than how the new ones look. Can you do more with the V2s, do they have more maps or are the V1s limited in how much you can tune. I am asking this because I found a V1 for a descent price and basically wanna know if I should spend the extra cash on a V2 or if there are no major differences.
V2 has a nicer interface.

If you're purchasing new, you can only get the V2. If you're trying to save some money by purchasing used, then I'd say get the V1.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at a used V1 for half the price of a new V2 so if thats the only difference than I'll probably go with the V1.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The v2 has a color screen and will load maps faster. If you do not need to have all that go for v1. It will look more like a snap on brick scan tool, but they both will work.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
I was looking at a used V1 for half the price of a new V2 so if thats the only difference than I'll probably go with the V1.
Be sure it has been "unmarried" (uninstalled) from the previous car.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The v2 ... will load maps faster.
I don't know how much faster you really need it to be. My V1 will reflash the ECU in about 5 minutes. I picked it up used for $300 shipped. I don't see the point in getting a V2 unless you really want lots of extra features that you'll probably rarely (if ever) use. ;)

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't know how much faster you really need it to be. My V1 will reflash the ECU in about 5 minutes. I picked it up used for $300 shipped. I don't see the point in getting a V2 unless you really want lots of extra features that you'll probably rarely (if ever) use. ;)
As of right now other then the User Interface you will aso see on COBBs website that their Street Tuner is available for V1. Cobb is still working on the Street Tuner for the V2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Compatibility?

I'm planning on getting a V1 from a guy who is parting out his car in a couple of days. He had it married to his 04, (I have an 02) are the two compatible?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I'm planning on getting a V1 from a guy who is parting out his car in a couple of days. He had it married to his 04, (I have an 02) are the two compatible?
I want to say that the first gen AP was model year specific? I could be wrong though. I seem to remember reading something about how you could send a v1 AP to COBB and they could make it compatible for a different model year than it was originally made for, for a fee. Send your question to COBB directly, via e-mail. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
No, they're not. 02-03 can share, 04 and 05 each have their own specific model of the AP, but are interchangable with some changes by Cobb (you have send it in). 06 is also specific to that year. Also, the WRX and STi are not interchangeable, so an AP for an 05 STi will not work on an 05 WRX.

There are some that have been changed over though. For instance mine has the model number for an 04 model year car, but a little sticker on it says it's for an 05 WRX because it had been converted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts