ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many of you have the cobb access port and highly recommend it. I am slightly worried about my warranty. Ill be getting a 2012 in about a week and the only things I want to do to it for a few years is an invidia exhaust and the access port. Is it likely to be denied any warranty claim if they see ive been using the access port? Im fine with being denied a claim around 1000 bucks but whats the chances of something major going wrong and being denied a claim that cost several thousand dollars?

(Yes, i read the "your warranty and you" thread)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
I do not think it likely but I do think it just. Nobody can really answer your question though, it involves predictions.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Words of wisdom: "you gotta pay to play"

None of us will be able to tell you if your claim will be denied by modding your car. Every situation is different

Rule of thumb is if you want to keep your warranty and it's important to you, leave your car stock

If you modify your car, prepare for a potential claim to be denied.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha you bought a new Subaru. When you leave the lot, your warranty is VOID.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
If the dealership feels the problem may have resulted from an alteration of the ECU (AP/Open-Source/etc) they can deny the warranty claim for that specific issue. They can't deny a suspension issue or the like. Any time you mod a car you need to accept that you may be compromising your warranty claims. Pay to play is exactly right - if you want to mod then accept that you may have to pay for repairs out of pocket as a result. Much of it comes down to what kind of dealer you use - whether they are mod friendly or not, and how you treat them during interactions. The service dept at my dealer was clear that they did not recommend I flash the car as it could affect warranty claims. I did it anyway, but I will not curse a blue-streak if they deny a claim on me. If you want to do it - go right ahead, just know the possible consequences of your choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. I just wanted to see what everyone had to say. I should just wait at least a year and decide later. Being that ive never owned anything near the performance of a wrx, ill love it without any mods. Im sure ill get the itch to mod it a year or 2 down the road. Definitely getting an exhaust though. The sound the wrx makes gives me goose bumps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Buy SPT parts instead. At least your warranty will not be voided. I know that the SPT exhaust is not as loud as the Invidia, but at least you will not lose your warranty. / I know, SPT does not have an Air Intake or many other parts for it, but even if you decide to put an Air Intake in, in case your engine blows or some **** happens, put the original back on before dropping the car back at the dealer!
I bought the SPT exhaust and I am happy with the sound. Way better than stock thats for sure. SPt HEat shield and SPT front strut brace. Hopefully SPt comes out with an Air intake and the warranty would still be good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Coming from another 2012 owner with only a 1000 miles on the clock. I just put the order In for my tactic cable last night and will be flashing a Torqued Performance stage 1 as soon as I get it. Is it risky with the warranty? Sure but for me it's worth the risk with the amount of enjoyment I will get out of my car. You bought a WRX because you are a car enthusiast and you wanted to have fun in it. If not you would have just bought an impreza. So go enjoy your car!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is so worried about the warranty. You bought the car so have some fun with it! Most vehicles don't have problems within the warranty period anyway unless you abuse them or do not maintain them properly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is so worried about the warranty. You bought the car so have some fun with it! Most vehicles don't have problems within the warranty period anyway unless you abuse them or do not maintain them properly.
^^^that^^^

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Risk management. You have to at least acknowledge the fact that you have a percentage of failure in any given amount of vehicles. While your chance of having a failure is, thankfully, low, you still have to account for it in your decision making. This is why you buy insurance for accidents, though your chances are relatively low of having a major accident on any given day, you still have to account for the possibility. A warranty is nothing but insurance in the case of failure.

Like you said MOST vehicles make it just fine when they're properly maintained and modified, but there's always that chance. Whether or not you're willing to accept the risk is up to you.

Now, a reminder to you all about your warranty, if you modify your vehicle and something goes wrong, and you attempt to hide those modifications in the hopes that you will recieve warranty repairs, you are committing a form of fraud. The dealership is under no obligation to uphold their end of the deal when you are attempting to defraud them of the labor and parts required to fix what you screwed up. If you decide to be sketchy and dishonest, I would advise none of you to post about it on public forums at the very least. That is, if you are able to live with a decision like that.

Reactions: mrd

·
Registered
63 Posts
Risk management. You have to at least acknowledge the fact that you have a percentage of failure in any given amount of vehicles. While your chance of having a failure is, thankfully, low, you still have to account for it in your decision making. This is why you buy insurance for accidents, though your chances are relatively low of having a major accident on any given day, you still have to account for the possibility. A warranty is nothing but insurance in the case of failure.

Like you said MOST vehicles make it just fine when they're properly maintained and modified, but there's always that chance. Whether or not you're willing to accept the risk is up to you.

Now, a reminder to you all about your warranty, if you modify your vehicle and something goes wrong, and you attempt to hide those modifications in the hopes that you will recieve warranty repairs, you are committing a form of fraud. The dealership is under no obligation to uphold their end of the deal when you are attempting to defraud them of the labor and parts required to fix what you screwed up. If you decide to be sketchy and dishonest, I would advise none of you to post about it on public forums at the very least. That is, if you are able to live with a decision like that.
^^that^^

·
Registered
254 Posts

+1

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Anub1s said:

The other thing to add to Cody's post is the "good will" repairs a dealership can authorize when the warranty doesn't apply, which will cover some/all of the cost. If you try to defraud, you can pretty much forget about that possibility (I know if I was a service manager, I wouldn't think of helping someone out who pulled that).

If you want to modify the car, be honest with them. Before doing so, find out their stance on modifications. Some are fairly lenient...

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
The other thing to add to Cody's post is the "good will" repairs a dealership can authorize when the warranty doesn't apply, which will cover some/all of the cost. If you try to defraud, you can pretty much forget about that possibility (I know if I was a service manager, I wouldn't think of helping someone out who pulled that).

If you want to modify the car, be honest with them. Before doing so, find out their stance on modifications. Some are fairly lenient...
Thanks for adding that, a very good point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Look, here is my last point on the subject. // I know, we all buy a WRX or an STi and we want to enjoy the vehicle. These are easily tunable vehicles and not too hard to add a few (or a lot in some cases) HP to all WRX's and STi's. Would i like to buy an Accesport, DownPipe, InTake, another pipe besides the SPT , and on and on and on? .. Yes.. I would and so would any of you. Unfortunately, there is something called a warranty. A warranty is something very useful IN CASE your car decides to break on you. You can be the safest driver in the world, but sometimes **** happens and vehicles break down. I will wait until my warranty expires, then let the games begin. The car is fast enough as it is. It will be faster after the warranty expires. Until then, I'm happy enough with the 305HP it comes with.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Subaru's come with a warranty???? How come no one told me this?!?!?!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts