1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
The compressor could be going bad, replacing it would solve the problem

·
Registered
539 Posts
Define "hard time spinning". Without trying to sound like a jerk some people have no clue of normal operations of certain parts. Your first step would actually defining if there is an actual problem before throwing on a $500 compressor then paying to have it put on and charged.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Also you could have no freon in the system. Check to make sure you have devloped a leak in the system, if the system is fully charged, best guess is the compressor is going bad.

My 2003 wrx had the compressor go bad a few months ago.

·
Registered
611 Posts
So, lemme see if I understand. The pulley itself spins the whole time, because the engine is spinning it, obviously. When you put the A/C on, the clutch is only occasionally kicking on to make the middle spin. Correct?

Do you have cold air? It's likely you're a little short on refrigerant. Go ahead and throw in a can until you get cold air.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like your pressure is low like a couple of other guys said. The pressure switch keeps kicking the compressor on and off. If you wanted to, you could unplug the wire that runs to the clutch and jump it with power from the battery, should only be a single wire (bypasses the pressure switch). If it kicks on you know its not your clutch or compressor. Charge it up and checks for leaks, a few ounces can make all the difference.

---Joe---

·
Registered
539 Posts
so when the ac is on, the clutch stops a bit and goes again
Yeah you sound like one of the guys I was talking about earlier. lol. The compressor with the ac on doesn't run the whole time. It'll click on and off. Still tough to say since it's not directly in front of me but I think you could be tweaking out over nothing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sounds like your pressure is low like a couple of other guys said. The pressure switch keeps kicking the compressor on and off. If you wanted to, you could unplug the wire that runs to the clutch and jump it with power from the battery, should only be a single wire (bypasses the pressure switch). If it kicks on you know its not your clutch or compressor. Charge it up and checks for leaks, a few ounces can make all the difference.

---Joe---
I'd highly recommend not actually doing this while the car is on... The pressure switch is there for a reason.

Basically, op, if your ac works, stop worrying. If it doesn't, you're probably a little low on 134, and you can top it off yourself. And that's the answer to pretty much every ac problem...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts