ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well first off i live in the second hilliest city in the united states ( yonkers, NY so its impossible to avoid the hills)..... Whenever im coming down a hill in the snow its hard to stop because any little pressure on my brakes and my abs goes off and my car starts skidding...my parking spot is on a hill and i had to roll in neutral because if i give it even a little gas and try to brake my abs goes off and my car keeps moving.....i have yokohamas avid h4s all season tires ( they are really good in dry and in the rain) and brembos( don't know if they make a difference when the abs goes off)....anyone else have the same problem.....its like my abs is really sensitive......o yea also i was coming down my parking lot hill about 3 weeks ago and i had the car in neutral and was breaking (i know big mistake) and my car did a 180 down the hill in the snow

Thanks

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Search ABS recall. SOA at one point replaced control units for those owners that did not like the engagement of the stock ABS. They repeated that the campaign was voluntary and that nothing was wrong with the stock units so many times and so emphatically that I can not believe them.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Those tires are "designed for use even in light snow" which basically mean they will provide a minimal level of grip. I looked at the tread pattern and there's very little there to help in the snow. I think that's your problem, and maybe the ABS controller.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those tires are "designed for use even in light snow" which basically mean they will provide a minimal level of grip. I looked at the tread pattern and there's very little there to help in the snow. I think that's your problem, and maybe the ABS controller.
whats an ABS controller?

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
whats an ABS controller?
Search ABS recall. SOA at one point replaced control units for those owners that did not like the engagement of the stock ABS. They repeated that the campaign was voluntary and that nothing was wrong with the stock units so many times and so emphatically that I can not believe them.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so theres really nothing i can do about it :-/.....well thank god winter is almost over....and im getting an STI soon :) so i hope next years winter will be better

·
Registered
54 Posts
same thing happenens to my sti,i learned to brake as gentle as possible and downshift.lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
question about ABS i live in maine so lots of snow also but i never actualy read up on what abs is and how it works from my understanding its ur car cyceling the braiks on and off that why u ehar that ****ed up noise when it kicks in but its not a very good idea to keep ur foot on the braiks when this happins or is it ok cuz when it happins to me i can fell soem recoil in the rbaik and i always thing if i keep presing it itl braik lol:whoa:

·
29,234 Posts
The manual explains ABS operation.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts

i Believe much has to do with the tires, I have the V4S avids, they don't stop in the snow very well at all.

·
5,780 Posts
from the Tire rack page

Danger! Beware! If you never ever plan to drive in northern conditions; light snow,heavy snow, icy conditions then this a a great tire and great value. However, I have never driven a more dangerous tire than this on my all wheel drive Audi A6 in icy/snowy conditions. IT SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AN ALL SEASON TIRE.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It sounds as if you need dedicated winter tires rather than brake work. A set of tires with the snowflake/mountain emblem are a vast improvement over even an all-season tire, not to mention over a summer tire.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Ok, so I live in the mountains, 3000-6000ft. is my daily driving routine. I drive through all kinds of snow condition all the time, wheter it be a foot of fresh, solid pack, ice, slush, whatever I drive it all...even when I'm mobbing 2 feet of the fresh!

I NEVER use my brakes when i'm on the road. Well every now and then obviously but very lightly and not hard!!!!!

I ALWAYS downshift and go slow when neccesary! and I've never had a problem (except when a snowplow ran me off the road, but that's another story) lol

so try using your breaks less and your motor more. AWD only works when you're giving it gas anyways.
Try putting it in first and then going down your hills and don't use the breaks. I have stock tires that are almost bald so whatever i'm doing seems to work pretty good.

+1 on the dedicated snowtire...they make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I remember one time I was rallying on this snowy road and doing a lot of getting sideways kinda stuff and my ABS light came on. Scared me....then later I got stuck in a snowbank and it came back on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
so theres really nothing i can do about it :-/.....well thank god winter is almost over....and im getting an STI soon :) so i hope next years winter will be better
If you are going to buy an STI then you MUST MUST get snowtires for the winter. The stock tires on the sti will slide with half an inch of snow, they are summer tires. so +1 on winter tires.... HUUUUGGGEEE improvement!

·
Registered
0 Posts

I've still got my letter; got it about 1 month after I sold my '03

·
29,234 Posts
I had mine done and they did effectively change the way the system behaves. Previously, over uneven terrain the ABS would engage abruptly and it made braking very difficult. Now I can brake on uneven surfaces without the system refusing to stop the car. It's worthwhile IMO.

·
Registered
0 Posts
what he's describing is exactly as I remember with my WRX, which was on the OEM RE92's for winters (comparable to his tires in a sucks in the snow kinda way). even the lightest pedal pressure at the lowest speeds was enough to send the ABS into "ice mode", which completely takes braking control away from the driver and sent me out into oncoming traffic multiple times. so it sounds to be more an ABS issue than a tire issue; I pulled the ABS fuse for winters after a couple days of shenannigans and never had another slide.

·
5,780 Posts
I had mine done and they did effectively change the way the system behaves. Previously, over uneven terrain the ABS would engage abruptly and it made braking very difficult. Now I can brake on uneven surfaces without the system refusing to stop the car. It's worthwhile IMO.
is it retroactive can i have it done still?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts