ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 STi. I installed new struts a week ago and now I have an ABS light. Grounded out the black connector and pulled DTC 24. FSM says to get all freaky with an O-scope, which I neither own nor know how to use (got a C in my electrical engineering fundamentals course in college). So, keeping that in mind, where do I start? I would rather not buy a new wheel speed sensor just to install it and still have the code. Is there something else I should perhaps focus on that I may be able to better make a diagnosis before purchasing a $100 sensor?

Any help is appreciated.

~Tim

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
carefully check the tone wheel

how did you make out on your other noise- is this possibly related?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would be involved in inspecting the tone wheel? I did a visual inspection with the sensor removed, turning the rotor slowly and looking for any damage or missing teeth. Nothing looked wrong to me.

As for the other noise, I ruled out endlinks entirely by driving with them detached.

I ruled out strut scraping by doing a good visual inspection and finding no damage.

I almost thought the axles might have been rubbing against a piece of frame material, but I put masking tape over where I thought it was rubbing, drove around replicating the noise, and the tape was pristine when I put the car back in the air. If something had been rubbing, it would have ripped up the tape.

I had one of the mechanics that works in the shop where I do my work listen to the noise as I made it and he said 100% not wheel bearing. The wheel also has no play in the camber nor does it make any noise in a straight line, so I've ruled out wheel bearing.

I had the suspension off the car when I was inspecting some parts but put it back on for a test drive. I didn't get around to disassembling the tophats and checking the washer mostly out of laziness (I had already removed the struts and reinstalled them that day and didn't feel like an encore). An interesting twist to things....it doesn't make the noise if I turn the wheel quickly in the direction I want to travel. Say, for example, I make a lazy left hand turn with a slow wheel turn at < 5mph....I'll get the sound. If I turn the wheel the direction I want to go, then apply gas, no sound. This makes me really think it's something in the strut top/washers/bearings/etc. Even though the top bolts are torqued to 55ftlbs, it may be that there is something just misaligned enough to cause the noise and some movement that shouldn't be there when I turn. I would like to try to use a stock front suspension as a control before I start tearing apart the front struts looking for something that I may or may not be able to identify. If I can replicate the noise with different struts up there, that rules out certain possibilities.

~Tim

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
that's all I can think on the tone wheel, not broke, no missing teeth, not gummed up w/ junk

if it's only when turning I think you are on the right track- washer installed wrong (under the upper perch or upside down) or stuck/broke bearing in the top

1 - 4 of 4 Posts