Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this because of the cold weather??

It just started happening.

My Setup:

2002 WRX Bugeye

K&N Drop in with the silencer delete mod

Turbo back exhaust (3inch DP with 2.5inch FLOWMASTER Exhaust)

COBB Tuning (Running STAGE 2 , 92 Octane)

I HAVE tweaked the waste-gate arm (waste-gate Turbo Exhaust splitter)

Bigger Hood scoop (STi imported version)

UH think that's it?? For Engine bay area........

You can smell it at odd times but I'm thinking mainly 15min. after starting and....... ????? CRAP I will keep posted but it can get pretty strong sometimes.

THANKS in addvance!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
common problem with the fuel lines. search and you will see.

take it into the dealership and theyll know just what to do.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
common problem with the fuel lines. search and you will see.

take it into the dealership and theyll know just what to do.

SO, your thinking the Fuel lines are old and need replacing??

That's what I was maybe thinking due to the fact that the smells (when I had the hood up) were coming from top mid motor......

Also it's age and Mileage.

My mileage is: 78,000 about

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
SO, your thinking the Fuel lines are old and need replacing??

That's what I was maybe thinking due to the fact that the smells (when I had the hood up) were coming from top mid motor......

Also it's age and Mileage.

My mileage is: 78,000 about
Bugeyes had a fuel line TSB or recall. Thats what ^^^ he was talking about with the search.

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
It was a TSB not a recall, good luck getting it fixed by SOA.

Glad to see gusto 'round these parts again.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
my car does this every winter - I haven't blown up yet

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my car does this every winter - I haven't blown up yet

Lol, But then you will know then huh!!! :rotfl:

Wounder how much my local SUBARU dealer will charge me for all new fuel lines??? :confused: Hope not to much!!! Trying to work on my Home Theater. :tongue:

Any Ideas??

·
Registered
0 Posts
if its more than 300 look into perrin or aps fuel rail's

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
0 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:) Thanks Guy's!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dang, we just had our first snows this week and I started smelling the fuel too. Off to search for the TSB info. Anyone got a ballpark $ number on what a dealer charges to fix this?

02 WRX Wagon, bought used April 07, now 86,000 mi

·
Registered
51 Posts
TSB info is below:

Well guys I just joined the party. I started smelling it in cold weather about a month ago. Took it to the dealer with a complaint of brake problems as well - it was too warm, they couldn't reproduce. Brake problem came back furiously and I had to get a new brake booster (went to the local garage for it). The mechanic called me up and said "man this thing smells like gas!" So he pulled the TSB and gave me a copy.

Get this- you need to remove the manifold in order to access the repair! Subaru estimated 4 hours for the work. I can't believe that it can be done in 4 hours.

TSB is #09-36-03, issued 4/1/03. Impacts 2002 WRX models. Text as follows: "Some 2002 model Impreza WRX (2.0L Turbo) may experience a fuel smel lin cold weather (temperature <14F) from the rubber hose connector, located under the intake manifold, between two direct fuel-feed metal lines to the injectors."

Repair as follows: "The changing of the pipe and hose size was adopted, starting with engine number 673467 to better align the two fuel lines. This was accomplished by shortening the fuel pipe and lengthening the hose by 33 mm. To complete this service procedure you must replace the fuel pipe assembly and hose as a set."

Parts: 17544AA134 Pipe complete (30 mm shorter than the old one)
807707140 Hose (30mm longer than the old one)

So at the moment I haven't decided what to do. I called Subaru of America because I have heard that they might pick up the repair. They did not commit to it but said they would communicate with the dealer when I took it in to check the diagnosis. It is such a pain for me to get to the dealer - plus wait for the car to show symptoms (cold mornings only) plus the fact that I will have to rent a car that I'm probably going to have my local mechanic to the work. So while he's in that far - are there any inexpensive adds I should be doing :) ?

I guess the inexpensive alternative is to throw a fire extinguisher behind the seat.

Also - get this - my mechanic said that my battery ground was disconnected from the engine. Best we can figure is that when the previous owner had the clutch replaced the dealer forgot to hook it back up. 50,000 miles with no ground!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts