Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member and I recently bought an 02' WRX. I want a little more power but my budget is set pretty much at $ 1000...

- I am not concerned with smog tests as I live in KS and we don't have ANY regulations :D...but I DON'T want the engine light to come on either....

- I want the most power available too!

1. That being said, I am considering buying a cat-back exhaust: for a little power and for looks. Where can I get a Skunk 2 and how much should I expect to pay for it? My second option is a HKS Hyper....same questions.

2. The next step, based on what I read is to replace the down pipe. Same question, is HKS a pretty good pipe? How much should I expect to pay and where should I get it from?

3. I hear the installation on an up-pipe is a biaatch....but that it will also yield consider power gains. Should I also get the HkS? What are these awful "leak" issues I keep hearing about? Is it worth it?

4. How much did you guys spend on installation on these items? Sorry for the many questions....help me out!? I want more POWER!!!! :D :eek:

Angel

·
Registered
59 Posts
1) Try...www.vividracing.com, www.tbracing.com, www.fastwrx.com um sure they will have what you are looking for in terms of a catback exhaust. just do a search...youll get more answers

2)HKS dp is a flatflange type just like the stocker. works well with people on a budget, and not intrested in 300+ hp because the flat flange style have been known to boost creep at HIGH HP FIGURES. i say go with any divorced or bellmouth design.

3) Yes the Uppipe is a PITA to install. the power gains arent neccisarly whats important about a cat-less uppipe. the safety to your turbo, the lower EGTS, the quicker Spool, and removing a cat before your turbo is what its really about. the hks should be the same as any other cat-less stainless steel uppipe out there. The "leak" is usually associated with the install of the uppipe. do a search on "uppipe Leak" and you will get all the asnwers to your questions.

4) i paid...A BIG FAT ZERO on installtion charges because my friends and I like working on cars :)

p.s if you want more power...make sure you do it in safe and responsible manner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
angel....are those the stock rims that you got? if so howd you paint em?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BoostedAWD said:
1) Try...www.vividracing.com, www.tbracing.com, www.fastwrx.com um sure they will have what you are looking for in terms of a catback exhaust. just do a search...youll get more answers

2)HKS dp is a flatflange type just like the stocker. works well with people on a budget, and not intrested in 300+ hp because the flat flange style have been known to boost creep at HIGH HP FIGURES. i say go with any divorced or bellmouth design.

3) Yes the Uppipe is a PITA to install. the power gains arent neccisarly whats important about a cat-less uppipe. the safety to your turbo, the lower EGTS, the quicker Spool, and removing a cat before your turbo is what its really about. the hks should be the same as any other cat-less stainless steel uppipe out there. The "leak" is usually associated with the install of the uppipe. do a search on "uppipe Leak" and you will get all the asnwers to your questions.

4) i paid...A BIG FAT ZERO on installtion charges because my friends and I like working on cars :)

p.s if you want more power...make sure you do it in safe and responsible manner.
This is very good information. I think for now I will just get the downpipe and the exhaust. I need tolearn a bit more about the car before I do the up-pipe. Thanks again for the well displayed feedback!

Angel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OutLuDeD said:
angel....are those the stock rims that you got? if so howd you paint em?

Yes, those are the stock rims. I am a nut for black rims with a silver lip....I think I have done with EVERY wheel I have had, stocker or not:)

The first thing to do is use a "detailing" tape and slowly edge where you want the lip to show the separation. Then masking tape and cover the rest. USE detaling tape on the edge as it is finer and made of vinyl, masking tape will not give a smooth clean line.

Then sand paper/terry sand the entire wheel...make sure you get all the shine/clear coat. This will ensure the pain sticks well. Then clean the entire wheel with an alcohol/water solution (80/20) and allow to dry for a few minutes. I use a high temp paint and usually a flat charcoal as it gives it a more "racey" (not ricey:D ) look. I have tried many mattes, clear coats, etc but the flat matte and charcoal look the best. I apply about 5-6 thin coats. Allow to dry for a day and remove all the taping. Voila!

If you do it right (clearcoat removal and evenly paint), the wheels will last you forever. I have owned a 300ZXTT that I autoxed and roadraced and the Konig Wheels I had done literally lasted and were very durable to the abuse of the track/course and the heat. No chipping, scratching or peeling.

Angel
*here is a pic of what it looks on my S2000 - if you need more pics of the WRX let me know...got tons*

now...back to the exhaust topic....anyone? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Angel,

There are many options available for uppipes and downpipes. Since you are not concerned about emissions, you'll want to go catless all around for the best performance. IMO, the best uppipe available is the Autospeed Performance uppipe. At $340 it has a large inner diameter and a flew joint which makes installation a snap. If you don't mind spending more time on your install, you can get a rigid uppipe for <$200 (Godspeed, Perrin, countless others).

For the downpipe, you get a lot of bang for your buck. I offer Godspeed, HKS, and TurboXS downpipes which mate to any catback exhaust system. IMO, TXS makes the best DP, but if you have no plans for upgrading your turbo, you can get away with the Godspeed or HKS and not suffer any noticable performance loss.

You should also consider a boost controller, either manual or electronic (much more $).

If I can answer any WRX-related questions, feel free to give me a shout at 267-994-4980 or drop me an email at [email protected] ;).

-Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
worldoneperformance.com

I will post a shameless plug for them. There pricing and service is prompt and excellent.

I got a TurboXS stealth back ( a dedicated bellmouth dp, high-flow cat pipe and straight midpipe section) from them, and I know they were selling HKS uppipes as well.

Which ever way you go, with them or with PlatinumWRX, I'm sure you'll get quality goods. I would echo his advice on the boost controller as well.

Something to consider is to do the up and downpipes at once if you're paying for labor,since from what I hear you need to remove the dp to install the upipe. I didn't do the uppipe install, since I have a friend that works at a Subaru dealer, and he took care of it.

If you've got some mechanical experience, the Turbo back install is a piece of cake on a new, low mileage car since the bolts aren't siezed together yet. Mod the exhaust when it's new is my .02 I've had a couple of V-8 project cars that were a PITA to pull an exhaust system out of.

IMHO, the turboback gave a noticable increase in power, but adding the uppipe (and the quicker spool up that comes with it) makes it feel incredible. And if you've got no cats that you have to put in either, I wish I was that lucky:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: worldoneperformance.com

dorkusmaximus said:
I will post a shameless plug for them. There pricing and service is prompt and excellent.

I got a TurboXS stealth back ( a dedicated bellmouth dp, high-flow cat pipe and straight midpipe section) from them, and I know they were selling HKS uppipes as well.

Which ever way you go, with them or with PlatinumWRX, I'm sure you'll get quality goods. I would echo his advice on the boost controller as well.

Something to consider is to do the up and downpipes at once if you're paying for labor,since from what I hear you need to remove the dp to install the upipe. I didn't do the uppipe install, since I have a friend that works at a Subaru dealer, and he took care of it.

If you've got some mechanical experience, the Turbo back install is a piece of cake on a new, low mileage car since the bolts aren't siezed together yet. Mod the exhaust when it's new is my .02 I've had a couple of V-8 project cars that were a PITA to pull an exhaust system out of.

IMHO, the turboback gave a noticable increase in power, but adding the uppipe (and the quicker spool up that comes with it) makes it feel incredible. And if you've got no cats that you have to put in either, I wish I was that lucky:D
thanks for the feedback. I am absolutely sure I am getting a dp. I am also 75% sure I will also go with the cat back....but am a little weiry about the up. Labor seems to be a pita.....

Has anyone got any pics/write up on the procedure to the the up-pipe? Thanks!

Angel

·
Registered
64 Posts
Angel,
You can try the tutorial section here, or check out scoobymods.com

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Perrin's web page has some good instructions.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/DOCUMENTATION/up-pipe.htm

I have seen it done on my car 3 times now so I think I am ready to do it myself next time. Really it doesn't seem to complicated. Just takes some time to get the bolts off (Having the right tools helps a lot) and get the uppipe out and the new one back in. Plus you have to lift the engine a little to help get that pipe out and back in, that adds to the time. Just give yourself a good day on the weekend to get it all done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KanosWRX said:
Perrin's web page has some good instructions.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/DOCUMENTATION/up-pipe.htm

I have seen it done on my car 3 times now so I think I am ready to do it myself next time. Really it doesn't seem to complicated. Just takes some time to get the bolts off (Having the right tools helps a lot) and get the uppipe out and the new one back in. Plus you have to lift the engine a little to help get that pipe out and back in, that adds to the time. Just give yourself a good day on the weekend to get it all done.
Thanks....all the 'write-ups' are w/o pics....argh! I am becoming even more scared about this up pipe installation...."lifting the engine"?:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey angel i would love to see more pics of your wrx. your s2000 is pretty nice also. send them all to [email protected] or IM me at outluded on AIM. about your uppipe...if you feel your not secure about doing this then just go to a local performance shop and pay them. at least you wont get any headaches or worries

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OutLuDeD said:
hey angel i would love to see more pics of your wrx. your s2000 is pretty nice also. send them all to [email protected] or IM me at outluded on AIM. about your uppipe...if you feel your not secure about doing this then just go to a local performance shop and pay them. at least you wont get any headaches or worries
:D :D :D ... the "local" performance shops consist of Aamco, Jiffy Lube and Goodyear....:D :D

:eek: :rolleyes: scary huh? I do a better job than the local shops around here...sad but true....*sigh*

·
Registered
167 Posts
I accidentally over-hyped my skunk2 didn't I?
I even pulled it from the for-sale forum earlier today unless someone wants to pay me almost full price for it. :p
My new goal of getting the best time I can get on the stock turbo needs a 3" catback so I'm keeping it.

Be prepared to deal with being TOO LOUD if you get it along with the catless up/down pipes and driving w/out a silencer on. Now that I'm driving with the silencer on though (it comes with it) a lot of the low rpm power is noticably missing.

I would think that basically any fully 3-inch catback that is fairly straight and doesn't have a restricting muffler will be performing nearly the same. All a catback is really is piping and a muffler.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
cost me 260 to install both the up and down pipes at suby specialties in monrovia, ca (souther cali)

but ive heard of shops doing it for around 200 also

basically the charge is for the uppipe installation, the downpipe is free if you do it w/ the uppipe, otherwise the downpipe alone would be like around 100 i would think since it's just unbolting the exhaust and switching them around

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah if you can get the uppipe and dp installed for 200-250 and you have the money, go for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts