Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many people have had troubles getting the screw holes to line up right. Or if you get replica fog light covers like I did and the screws being a tad to short. So here is the tip, go to your local auto store and go to the license plate holder section. You should be able to find there some screws that should be the right diameter, and a little longer to make it easy to install. And an even better tip is this.

Find the screwes that use a allen wrench lock. I know some people have had these stolen because all it takes is a flat head screwdriver to get these off. So spend the two dollars and get the lock screws and it will make you life a lot easier.

·
Registered
178 Posts
KanosWRX said:
Find the screwes that use a allen wrench lock. I know some people have had these stolen because all it takes is a flat head screwdriver to get these off. So spend the two dollars and get the lock screws and it will make you life a lot easier.

Very good advice.

Same thing been happening in Australia, people stealing the mesh foglight covers.

Some have been stolen, even when they used the screw with the allen key lock on them.

·
Registered
966 Posts
well i will be getting mine sometime this week so i think i'll get the different screws. do these covers always come with shortened screws? why don't these vendors provide the correct size?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dad installed them the first time (since I wasn't home, he likes working on my car). He said he had the same problem the first time but eventually got them in. I think it just depends on where you get them from or how much time you want to spend installing them. If I had the longer screws in the begining it would have taken 5 min to install them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If I had the longer screws in the begining it would have taken 5 min to install them.
God I wish I would have known this when I did it. I figured that it would be a quick install and I am impatient, so I did it while it was snowing. Then I thought that I was doing something wrong, because there is no way that a vendor would be selling all of these this way. So I ended up going to the hardware store. Spent about 30 minutes freezing outside.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
My old ones that used the allen wrench screws were stolen :( I think someone was just hating on me on purpose :(

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The screws I got use an allen wrench, but the screws have a steal pin in the middle so you can't use a regular allen wrench. The allen wrench has to have a hole in the middle to fit around the pin in the middle of the screw.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I don't have the size, I just took the small ones I got with the covers to the store and matched them up there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi,

If anyone is still around with this, I just got a set of replica solid covers and no matter what I do (though I haven't gotten longer screws yet), they don't seem to fit right.

It's almost like the bracket isn't long enough, because the tabs on the inside (the opposite side of the screw) won't engauge and if I pop them in, they just pop back out and leave an unsightly gap.

I am trying to install the solid covers with the foglights in, but it seems like I have the right brackets for that. they're notched and clear the lights.

Does anyone have any pictures of how to install the brackets? Mine came with no instructions.

I need mucho help!

Vostok 7

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard that the solid replica covers need the fog lights taken out. I ordered some too from Gruppe-S but its been over a week and a half and they still have not come or responded to my e-mails, not like them at all. I am hoping I can put them on with the brackets that are already on my car from the mesh fog light covers. I will let you know as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I got mine from Gruppe-S as well. The brackets have a little \____/ type shape which clears the fogs as far as I can tell.

I had a little bit of a hard time getting Gruppe-S to respond to my emails as well, but I got the item after about a week.

I'm going to pick up some longer security bolts today and see what that does.

Vostok 7

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is what I did to make mine an easy install. First, go to the hardware store and get 6mm x 16mm #6 bolts. I got black ones with the special allen head. Second, after you install the black bracket, start putting in the longer screw first. I just started the threads a couple of turns. Once you get it started, then attach the fog light cover (clips) and then tighten the screw the rest of the way. It is much easier doing it that way. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah, I just got some longer security bolts so I'm going to see what happens.

Will let ya'll know!

Vostok 7

·
Registered
692 Posts
I got them on. The longer bolts were the trick.

They still don't seem to fit PERFECT, but I'm a perfectionist. They don't rattle and they look decent.

I did put a couple washers in between the cover and the bracket, just so it didn't pucker out so much and I didn't tighten the bolt all the way down to help that as well.

I'm happy.

:)

Vostok 7

1 - 15 of 15 Posts