Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After three years of ownership, I couldn't take the constant suspension issues. Despite Subaru's repairs, I knew the issue would continue to get worse. Three years with the progressive problem of steering issues and suspension popping and it was never fully repaired. I was raising hell with Subaru, and they eventually offered to give me $4,000 toward any new Subaru before negotiations. Even so, I was so frustrated that I swore off Subaru forever and it was time to move on.

(Issues: https://www.clubwrx.net/forums/gene...idents/134571898-car-steers-harder-right.html)

I bought this car as my dream car. Although I preferred other colors, I'd always promised myself that if I ever purchased a STI, I would get WRB. Even despite the issues, I truly loved the car. I was borderline depressed when I came to the realization that I'd never feel anything quite like the STI, again.

The GTI was number one on my list. The interior with the leather package was fantastic. It was definitely a change. I tried to part myself emotionally by telling myself that it was time to move on and appreciate the benefits of the GTI. I finally decided to part ways with my STI and my wife and I agreed it was time to get a new car, despite the STI being our favorite car we've owned. The GTI would have big shoes to fill. We were sad, but it was for the best. Here's one of my last pictures:

I'm not past the break in period of my new car, but it was surprisingly both similar and different. Here are some things I appreciate about my new car:

The seats were definitely and upgrade and it was nice to finally have a push start.

The ride was oddly more comfortable than I expected with some revised changes. The steering has also been adjusted to be a little more smooth, despite not feeling quite as sharp.

I also loved the distinct colored brake calipers and larger looking wheels.

The interior quality is much better than my last car.

The LED headlights are awesome.

The ride is quieter.

The stereo is improved only slightly in my new car. The large touch screen in this make and model is a change from the old analogue radio.

I wasn't expecting it, but this car is actually quite a bit easier to live with than my old car. The differences are definitely noticeable.

Despite my WRB being bare bones, I opted for several upgrades on this car.

I'll try to post some pictures of the new ride!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

My last shot of her at home. Saying goodbye to the car I've lusted after since I was 20 years old.

I got with my dealer and decided if he could pull some strings to get my new car in from out of state and have it set up exactly like I wanted it, I would consider the purchase. I made it apparent that if I would consider buying the car I wanted than it would have to be exactly how I wanted it. Since I had decided to be rid of the 15 STI that I was already missing, I told them the car had to be in and completely finished, including tint and extras, by the end of the week. The closest model with the package I wanted was 300 miles away. I wanted to pick it up first thing on my Saturday. I gave them a tall order, since the car I was looking at was in KC. Again, I'll post some pictures when I can.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As promised, I picked my new car up on Saturday.

Welcome home, beautiful:

Front Lip and door trims.

Huge wheels, brakes, and bright calipers.

The same trunk trim I had on my white 13 WRX that ties everything together, with a modest 35% tint/sun strip vs. going dark again.

Short throw shifter and of course...

The car also came with all weather floor mats, LED interior lights, and a trunk liner. Those options and the door trims were already included in the only white/recaro package STI withing 300 miles. I had the STS, Trim, tint, and trunk trim added prior to pickup. One of my favorite things about the new car is that it's the first one I've ever driven off of the lot with no payments and complete ownership.

I definitely swore off Subaru, but I was so bummed out from the moment I realized I needed to get rid of the car. Emily convinced me to put my emotions aside and use the $4,000 voucher to go toward the purchase of the only car I've ever consistently liked with no plans to get rid of, which all went to **** with the circumstances.

I'm probably an idiot for going back to the brand, let alone the same car, but I'm thrilled. Even when we were set on the GTI, I knew my ill feelings of getting rid of the STI would hinder my ability to truly enjoy the new car experience.

The 18 STI is similar to my 15, but unexpectedly different as well. As I stated before, the car feels a lot easier to live with and it rides much better with a few changes to the suspension. It's also a lot more quiet. Even people who poked fun at my WRB STI have done nothing but comment on how sharp the 18 looks. I've still gotten a few jokes about the wing, but it somehow looks more subtle in white than WRB. Either way I'm thrilled to remain in a STI for what will hopefully be at least 5 years, which is about as long as I planned on keeping the 15.

As for now, I have mud flaps, black side markers, and lightly smoked reverse light overlays. The car will be finished on the exterior after that. I'm not big into cosmetic modifications, but I went with the front lip, trunk trim, and aforementioned small touches because I really wanted to differentiate the 18 from the 15. The 15 was very basic and true to form, which I liked, but this car looks really sharp in white with dark accents.

I'm not putting my intake back on right away, if ever. I'm also digging the quietness of the OEM exhaust. After 1,000 miles I'll probably just upload my cobb 93 OTS map with my AP v3. Maybe eventually I'd like a little more sound. My preferences as of now would have me looking for the quietest possible exhaust on the market to be just barely louder than stock to hear a little more growl in the cabin. We'll see.

I'm thrilled to be back, despite never leaving. Foolish? Maybe. But, I'm content with my decision and I enjoy the hell out of this car.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Nice! I was expecting a GTI when you updated the post; you weren't specific your demands were to the Subaru dealership.

While the responsible fiscal decision would be for me to sell my 2005, I can't emotionally do it (so I can understand your sentiment when deciding to sell). It is looking like it will have to be totaled out or be sold as part of my estate upon death for me to not be the owner...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I was expecting a GTI when you updated the post
That's exactly what you were supposed to think! I'm glad it worked. haha
It's good to hear I'm not the only one who would have trouble parting with the STI.

I forgot to mention the swiveling headlights. I thought they would be dumb, but they're really responsive and put out a lot of light. The boomerang daily running lights also give the car a good look. There are so many small touches that make this car feel so much different and higher quality than my 15 to the point where I didn't see it coming. I really thought I was going to be jumping into the exact same car. It's been a neat experience.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
As long as you are content. I’m glad you like it and have a direct comparison to pre and post facelift. The calipers also look better on a lighter color.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They really go well with the white in person. The red looks beautiful in the 15-17 and I really wanted to give it a try. However, every picture I looked at didn't look good. The red seems to clash with the new front end and calipers. I really like the white pearl (SWP?) I had on my 13, which I only had for less than two years. I'm glad to be back with that color which seems to look different in every light. When it's clean and the sun hits it the white really pops, but sometimes in dark light it could damn near pass for a light beige.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Whew! You had me scared there for a moment...

I was skeptical cause I thought an STI would never go GTI over Golf-R.

Anyway, sharp ride!

I'm gonna enjoy my '17 WRX until the 2020 redesign (if it happens) and then think about trading up. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
Nice GTI!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like other responders to your initial posts...

...I was also fooled :confused1 by the "red herring" GTI narrative... crafty... :)

But, it also set me up for being happy for your outcome... Congrats :thumbup:

Beautiful car... and you have also convinced me to get the lip. :cool:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I like this car more and more everyday. Not that I care, but it seems like everyone else likes it more than my last one. At least those who've seen it, since I'm not going to parade it around considering the circumstances.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Those seats look comfy. I love the color, kinda regretting not waiting for that front end & those seats. Congrats! Hope you are happy

·
Registered
338 Posts
That's exactly what you were supposed to think! I'm glad it worked. haha
It's good to hear I'm not the only one who would have trouble parting with the STI.

I forgot to mention the swiveling headlights. I thought they would be dumb, but they're really responsive and put out a lot of light. The boomerang daily running lights also give the car a good look. There are so many small touches that make this car feel so much different and higher quality than my 15 to the point where I didn't see it coming. I really thought I was going to be jumping into the exact same car. It's been a neat experience.
Agree with your assessments on all counts. Thats why when people ask STI or WRX, I have to go STI if we are talking about the 18. Its an overall qualitative difference, a sum of the parts type thing that make the car better.

You had me fooled too a bit, because I swear I read in your other thread you were waiting on a white STI

Your pics of the OEM front lip are the best Ive seen, I was on the fence with it but Im definitely getting it now.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I saw your thread over on NASIOC--it's good to hear they came through for you. And I agree with all of the minor but noticeable updates with the 2018 STi. Subaru did a great job improving the car over previous years without losing its "raw" character.

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still really digging the car. I still have a few hundred miles until break-in. I'm going to wait until the fall, but I'm trying to find out the quietest exhaust possible. So far all indications point to Q300. I want something completely tolerable, but just ever so slightly louder than stock. I want to be able to hear a little more of the engine note from inside the car. I can't find MadDad Whisper for our cars.

My other thought was to go the complete opposite route with Nameless Mufflerless...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well...don't do what I did with changing the exhaust.

When I ordered my STi I thought I wanted something slightly louder than stock so I added the STi exhaust. I'm not sure where that exhaust fits with the other options but it was a bit much for daily driving and road trips. I ended up buying another car for work and road trips! The exhaust wasn't the only reason but was certainly a factor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have COBB catback. louder than stock, zero drone at any speed. and it felt like it released a good amt of backpressure. car revs much more freely up and down the tach couldnt be happier with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So...

I'm going to wait until the fall, but I'm trying to find out the quietest exhaust possible. So far all indications point to Q300. I want something completely tolerable, but just ever so slightly louder than stock. I want to be able to hear a little more of the engine note from inside the car. I can't find MadDad Whisper for our cars.

My other thought was to go the complete opposite route with Nameless Mufflerless...
...if you are set on "tolerable" you might go with your first inkling.

...recently experienced a Q300 on a 2018 STI as well as on a 2018 WRX at Cars and Coffee that exhaust sounded very docile & authoritative.

It was maybe a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 IMHO, but that is subjective as I am not the ultimate arbiter of such things. Absolutely tolerable.

Based on that scale and subjective assessment however... my muffler delete Zen Tuning Ti axle back with Nameless resonated mid and Y is a 9 or 10.

And I actually love it (so far)... It is loud... but pleasantly so... if that makes any sense. I too like "peace and quiet", but that said, this combo still works for me.

No drone at any speed, angry when appropriate, surprisingly quiet at idle & while cruising. No need to constantly monitor tachometer (zero missed shifts). Not "crazy loud".

Either way you go and with the right mindset... you should be sufficiently chuffed. The question is... How will your significant other and neighbors like a muffler delete?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went back and read over your issues thread with the old STI. Glad you stayed and got the car you love. An experience like yours would have soured me with Subaru and I would have left the brand for good. Probably would have gone for the R, since AWD is a must-have for me. White is a great color and I do like how the yellow calipers pop with the wheels. Good choice!

I have a Grimmspeed catted j-pipe and Cobb resonated catback on my 2017 WRX. I was very noise conscious due to my wife hating loud cars (I used to have the SPT catback but she hated the highway drone). I settled on that combo after countless Youtube videos and check out other owners' WRXs at local meets. I am very pleased with this exhaust combo for the deeper tone and quiet highway cruising. I love the guttural grumble I get at lower RPMs and the whine of the spooling turbo. The Grimmspeed catback is also very tame and is just a little it louder than the Cobb.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^If you can still hear turbo spool and gear whine that sounds like it might be something to consider down the road.

As far as my wife and neighbors go, my wife likes the noise and my neighbors haven't outwardly complained. There's a pretty loud truck across the street and no one seems to mind. My Corsa was loud on my STI and I had nameless deletes on my 13 WRX prior to that.

I'm still digging stock for now. I feel a lot less self conscious when I get into the throttle. I think once I sell my Corsa, winter tires, and old mud flaps I might make a better investment and go with a ceramic coat. I'm getting tired of waxing a few times a year. I'd rather have the coating and spray Hybrid 7 on the car when I wash it. Then, call it a day. There's a shop in my area that does good work and will coat the car for 600, after polishing and claying. An extremely anal car owner I know swears by his. They also touch it up once a year for $100 after the original application.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts