ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I had my 1st run in with a ricer tonight.
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8741

He might've had legit mods, but I was wondering about the noises they emit. It was a Prelude, but the exhaust was so loud that I could barely hear MY engine. The exhaust being so loud I could always tell when he was juicing it and I could respond appropriately - a reason to have a stealthy exhaust note.

So my curiosity: I noticed a big slur in his exhaust note when his car shifted. Is this b/c of the exhaust, his driving style, or does it mean he's in a slush box (automatic)? It sounded the same/even everytime I heard the shift, so I'm thinking of eliminating the driver choice.

Thanks for the the responses! Take care.

Roamin'

"Know your enemy!" - Rage Against the Machine

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
I don't have the answers to your questions, but I just want to say that I bet my exhaust will be louder than most everyone's engines...hehe :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i tried to post earlier....stupid connection. anyway.

so here's what i meant by a slur. this is going to be funny trying to text it, but here goes:

"normal" MT sounds: rrrreeeeeEEEVVVVV - shift -rrrreeeeeEEEVVVVV

the kill's sounds: rrrreeeeeEEEVVVVV - shift - zummmmmrrrreeeeeEEEVVVVV

It just sounded like he was either trying to be ultra smooth, exhaust mod, or it was an AT. Kinda like when you're starting from a stop and you keep the revs at a constant speed while slipping the clutch until the rest of the drivetrain "catches up". I don't know, it just seems to me that if you're trying to go fast that it would be a more abrupt transition in the revs, right? it just reminded me of some luxocars that use electronics to smooth the shifts out.

Schis: if he had a turbo, it surely didn't seem like it :cool: .

Wombat: I really can't say as to the extent of the mods. but if he added the v-tec controller would he be faster/slower than a STOCK wrx?

thanks everyone. take care.

Roamin'

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Roamin'Coyote said:

Wombat: I really can't say as to the extent of the mods. but if he added the v-tec controller would he be faster/slower than a STOCK wrx?

thanks everyone. take care.

Roamin'
Not a chance. He'd need forced induction. Maybe supercharging might do it, more likely he'd need a turbo. Some NOS would help his cause. (See your other thread).

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have heard this before and I believe it's from it being an AT, and a really slushy one at that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
GV27 said:

Not a chance. He'd need forced induction. Maybe supercharging might do it, more likely he'd need a turbo. Some NOS would help his cause. (See your other thread).

Chris
Yeah agreed.
the V-AFC is quite a good device but without any real mods to go with it and a proper series of dyno runs to tune it properly
they would probably just make the car slower

I have a sport shift auto prelude stock which is by no stretch of the imagination a fast car. (It's nice don't get me wrong but just not really in the same realm as a WRX).

My car doesn't make those sort of sounds I never try to "launch" the thing especially against a WRX I mean really what is the point of blowing my tranny to say I lost by 1 or 2 less car lengths than I would have if I took off without trying to launch.

Some people just don't want to admit their car is not the fastest thing on 4 wheels :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts