Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Lately i have been looking into the WRX... I LOVE this car totaly. Currently i have a 99 Grand Am GT that is very slighty moded (fundage hehehe). Currently my best run is at Norwalk in Ohio... a time of [email protected] I was looking into trading in my GA for a WRX. Before i jump into all of this tho... i need a couple quiestions anwered. I hear about this new STI....? Any good specs on that besides the 6speed? Is it worth a 2 year (so i heard) wait and 5 thousand bucks more?? I would rather dump the 5K into a 2002 WRX and hit 12s... I am budgedted on THE CAR to about 26,000 dollars... Money for mods as it comes of course. And how about the transmission on these cars?? I come from another web forum, and have already tried the search button, and found nothing GREAT. So what ARE the limitations on the 2002 WRX transmission?? On my Grand Am its about 260hp 290lbs torque.. DOH!!! That sucks. I see some of these ricers pulling 400 horses, stock transmission? Sorry about all of the questions, but if i work my arse off until the end of next summer, i could have myself a WRX... Time to save is now....

Questions comments!!!!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
yeah, expect to wait 2 - 4 years for the sti. some SOA reps are anticipating 2006 release. and it will probably be lower 30's pricing, ~(32K)

themax hp question is best for someone like god to answer, but i think you can get up to around 260 or even higher w/o any probs. i think the real change is necessary if you upgrade the turbo, (or realy when your mods start utilizing it)

welcome to the board. great to have yah.

dR

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well if i bought this car is WAS going to upgrade the turbo.. That is why i asked..... So what do you think? I was on the web and found apackage deal for 4800 bucks that come with an assortment of things that boosted to 320hp. 320 horses.... will THIS wrx stock tranny handle that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
hey, welcome to the board. :)

Just bite the bullet and get the WRX now. :) The STi, well, if it comes it's still a few years off most likely and will be at least 32k I bet.

So get your WRX now.

Drop the GA. I used to have a Grand Prix GTP and loved it, but it was to slow and being FWD :eek: I didn't care for it's performance. So I went back to the import scene.

Check out www.i-club.com as they have a large knowledge base of WRX and other Subaru owners there as well.

We are growing here at ClubWRX.net so stick around here as well. :)

~V

·
1,911 Posts
Actually there are a couple of WRX's at least making 400 HP and none have broken the trans yet. It all depends on how you drive it and what clutch you use. You CAN break it but of course you can break a stock WRX too. As for price, I got my WRX for $23K. That leaves you a LOT of money for mods. The STi will be at least $32K IMO. Don't get me wrong, I have one on order but it'll be a couple of years and besides all my mods so far will transfer over nicely so why not? I think you'll be very pleased with the WRX. It's a great car for the money but you'll spend some money modding it that's for sure. Right now I am making way too much power for the brake system. It's downright scary. The pads smolder when I get off the freeway. So when you upgrade, make sure you do it in a balanced way. I am still searching for my STi Brembos for the front.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm very cool thanx for the tranny comment.... its what i needed to hear. I think some time this week i will go test drive one of these babes. But i wouldnt be able to get one until the end of summer most likely, cause i need to make sure that i have enough for a HUGE down payment, thats how i bought my GA.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Why do you need a huge downpayment? Are you planning to keep the Grand Am? I would think that would fetch some decent bucks on a trade or selling it yourself.

Make sure you drive a WRX with a five speed. The automatic comes off of boost when it shifts into second. And remember, for $40 you can get rid of the boost limit in first and second and then you have a really fun car!

-Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get rid of the boost limit huh, fun is rite! I need to get a down payment big enough so that i can AFFORD to pay my car each month. what you dont know is that im only 18 yrs old hehehehe. And i put 6K of MY OWN money down on my GA, and i make the car and insurance payments myself.. So you can imagine why i need to get my payments lowered now hehe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am with these guys, buy the WRX now. I was contemplating waiting for the STi as well, but would be very surprised if we see it here before 2003...and that comes from reading Subaru statments, not magazine and forum rumors.

As far as the GA GT is concerned. Two days ago I was going home on my SPARE TIRE (which end up costing me a new tire with stupid side wall puncture!). Caught up at stop light with a newer GA GT (still had temp tags) who wanted to race. Now how could I resist? ;) We were pretty even on first gear (prob due to my fish tailing like a moron on my back left spare bicycle-sized tire), but after second it simply became...bye bye little Detroit step-child. This is all taking place with my wife and kids following behind in my Bonneville. Wife thinks I am crazy, oldest son thinks daddy is cool. My point, get the WRX...you will LOVE it!

·
1,911 Posts
Some old guy tried to race me in an SC one a while ago. I had no idea he wanted to race. So all of a sudden I hear squeeling tires next to me and him take off. I roll it off in 1st gear and then hammer it. By end of 1st gear I caught up to him. By second he was GONE. Those things ONLY have power off the line. After 1st gear they are dogs.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
God, An SC1? as in Saturn? That's just ridiculous! My '87 Toronado used to get off the line really well, but once I hit 40, the firebirds/camaros/mustangs would start to catch up. That thing would be screaming in third gear at 88 mph by the end of the 1/4. Pathetic.

-Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so how exactly does the WRX come off the line?? You think my 15.2 sec GA could take it off the line through 1st gear???

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
How does the WRX get off the line? In a word, HARD. The WRX leaps off the line. A lot of people are posting 1.9 second 60 foot times on their quarter mile runs.

-Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts