Subaru WRX Forum banner

A new RA?

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  McBill 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
The STi/WRX distinction is a moot point for an RA car. Example: The actual WRC cars built in the UK used chassis shipped from Japan with WRX, not STi chassis codes.

My question is whether there's an actual point to an RA car at this stage. Subaru are not competitive and I can't imagine a privateer campaigning a car without significant, organized support etc.

#6 ·
i think you're thinking that they're bringing for people to build their own rally cars. nowadays they're using our nostalgia as selling/marketing tools. the Type RA was the basic/hardcore version. now it will be the hardcore version with all the bells and whistles and a bunch of carbon because racecar and people will buy it because there used to be a hardcore type RA back in the day which you bought if you wanted to build a racecar.

its all marketing. look at all the silly "special" editions that subaru does...its the blue one..its the launch one...its the yellow one...and people buy them up.

#9 ·
The S207 was quite a bit more than just a marketing scheme. It was also ludicrously expensive in Japan and unobtanium to us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#16 ·
The STI RA of yore was an STI with thinner glass, less sound deadening, overall lighter curb weight, and shorter gearing. In that light it seems Subaru has been true to its roots.

Also, the roof material change is not a novel idea of Subaru. Recall that Mitsubishi offered an aluminum roof panel on the MR trim.

#18 ·
My question is, why would I buy something not homologated? Ok so then I'm not a competitor but a hobbyist interested in track days. Can I use this to tow my track-ready Miata?

#19 ·
Was the RA ever for homologation purposes? Admittedly my knowledge on the subject is limited. At least with Group A and Group N, it seems that the WRX model and its evolution version "STI" should have been sufficient.

Why any models were maintained after the transition to WRC is beyond me.

#20 ·
To me, all this STi RA brings to the table is it's limited production. If I recall they state only a couple hundred will be produced. I see this as something similar to the Legacy GT Spec.b of the late 2000's. Something that doesn't offer much difference than the optioned out 2018 STi other than it's exclusivity.

On the other hand, the BRZ tS at first glance appears to be a 2018 BRZ track package with a few mods on top ready off the line for the flat billed vapor kids out there.

At this point, I would have no interest in either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.