ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi :)

Time has come for some more tranny / driveline questions.
I'm gathering information and preparing the "big" project that hopefully some day within the next 2 years will become a reality.

For my -02 edm WRX I'm planning 500 to 600crank hp on a custom engine.
My problem is to decide the best route of driveline upgrades.

This is how I see it...

The choises

1. Custom install a dogbox

+Will hold alot of beating
-expensive and high maintenance
2. Kaaz 5 speed gearset with cusco or kaaz front / rear LSD

+staright cut and syncromeshed
+"easier" install
-not cheeper than STi 6 speed if I have to upgrade front and rear LSD
3. STi 6 speed with dccd or non-dccd and R180 rear diff

+6gear is taller than the wrx 5gear allowing less [email protected] cruising
+shorter gear ratio than the WRX 5 speed = more fun
+stronger diffs than the WRX has

The roumors

1. Dogbox is indestructable?
2. Kaaz gearset holds 550hp and / or 500ft/lbs?
3. STi 6 speed is indestructable and are used on many 500hp cars?

The questions

Dogbox is not the way I want to go...So I will not ask any qestions about this.. If I need a full dogbox I'll rather step alittle down in power as for now.. Maybe dogbox is more attractive when / if I get another daily driver..

1. How much hp or ft/lbs will the kaaz gears hold "safely" based on experience? I cannot find any info about the gearsets on kaaz homepage!
2. How much Hp or ft/lbs will the stock wrx driveline hold (R160, shafts and joints)? - can I "safely" use the R160 with cusco or kaaz lsd on a 500+crank HP car?
3. How much more Hp or ft/lbs will the R180 driveline hold safely over the R160?
4. Is there any diffrence between JDM and USDM STi 6speed driveline / gearset when talking about HP and ft/lbs?
5. Is there any other diffrence between dccd and non-dccd than the manual lockup of the center diff? - Does the non-dccd has the same auto program as the dccd unit?

I hope all the experts and all the people with real experince with kaaz and / or STi 6speed give me some advice and hints.
And if anyone have broke a kaaz or sti6 speed gearbox or R160 / R180 driveline please also let me (us) know how much hp you where pushing and how it got destroyed.

I know this is alot of qestions, I hope I get most or all of them answered. If I do I bet it will be a nice thread for others to read later ;)
And Yes of course I have searched... And I'll continue to do so after this thread also ;)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Looks like you've done your research, I would say 6 speed because of gearing and it wouldn't be noisy.

Secondly people have broken axles on STi's near stock, so that's something to think about.

Don't have the answeres to all your questions, though.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chunks said:
Looks like you've done your research, I would say 6 speed because of gearing and it wouldn't be noisy.

Secondly people have broken axles on STi's near stock, so that's something to think about.
I'm not that much worried about noise.. I have only heard on vid clip of a wrx with kaaz gears and it sounds nice..

About the STi axles is new to me.. But on a stock car I find it hard to belive unless you have done something stupid like wheelspin on ice onto aphalt or full wheelspinn going WOT while in the air on a asphalt jump..

If they breake while just flooring it it 1 or 2 gear then subaru have a real problem.. But this is new info to me.. Thanks anyway for the info...

Anyone else care to comment some or all of my qestions? Please... :wiggles:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts