Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 WRX wagon with EJ205 motor with 147k miles on it. I rarely do WOT and I drive like a granddad. Yesterday when i was cruising normally, I have noticed that my engine have lost its power and struggles to accelerating from a complete stop. The engine shakes at idle and when accelerating. The car Idles roughly and I can smell A LOT of unburnt fuel at the exhaust. I popped the hood to see the engine and it was vibrating like it has a jello mount. I have pushed the turbo to 0psi, it feels sluggish compare to when it was in normal condition. I pressed the pedal further and it barely accelerates to overtake a slow vehicle in front. Didn't throw CEL and no Codes were detected by using a cheap OBD II Scanner.

Below are the lists mods done to my car:
  • HKS intake
  • HKS EVC 5
  • Tial Wastegate
  • IHI VF22
  • Custom Exhaust
  • Tune

I have contacted a local WRX owner in my place as he also have the same problem last year as mine. Car feels slow, it can boost, but only up to a certain point (limited to 6-7 psi) and no CEL. His problem was that his TGV on the driver side was fully closed. Can a fully shut TGV causes the car to feels sluggish and does not trip a CEL? Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2009 Cobb stg2+ WRX
24 Posts
I have an 04 WRX wagon with EJ205 motor with 147k miles on it. I rarely do WOT and I drive like a granddad. Yesterday when i was cruising normally, I have noticed that my engine have lost its power and struggles to accelerating from a complete stop. The engine shakes at idle and when accelerating. The car Idles roughly and I can smell A LOT of unburnt fuel at the exhaust. I popped the hood to see the engine and it was vibrating like it has a jello mount. I have pushed the turbo to 0psi, it feels sluggish compare to when it was in normal condition. I pressed the pedal further and it barely accelerates to overtake a slow vehicle in front. Didn't throw CEL and no Codes were detected by using a cheap OBD II Scanner.

Below are the lists mods done to my car:
  • HKS intake
  • HKS EVC 5
  • Tial Wastegate
  • IHI VF22
  • Custom Exhaust
  • Tune

I have contacted a local WRX owner in my place as he also have the same problem last year as mine. Car feels slow, it can boost, but only up to a certain point (limited to 6-7 psi) and no CEL. His problem was that his TGV on the driver side was fully closed. Can a fully shut TGV causes the car to feels sluggish and does not trip a CEL? Any help would be much appreciated
not as familiar with the ej20s….but have you checked the spark plugs for fouling? MAF dirty? Fuel pump/filter been replaced? A small issue with any one of these could compound into the issue you’re experiencing (specifically the rough idle)

another thought is either of your catalytic converters could be failing (or an o2 sensor).

basically, anything that affects your combustion cycle and exhaust cycle will directly affect exhaust pressure….which is what your turbo spools with. So if you have an intake, combustion, or exhaust issue that limits any area’s efficiency, your turbo won’t spool properly.

Start with the easy stuff and update with your results:
-clean MAF sensor
-check spark plugs and coil packs
-check air filter
-maybe clean the throttle body while you’re in there

if no progress, you might ask someone with a borescope to take a look at your converters (see if they’re broken/gummed up) or preventatively change your fuel pump/filter.

Not saying I have a solution for you, but those are my first thoughts…please update your progress on this!

·
Registered
2009 Cobb stg2+ WRX
24 Posts
Sorry…tried to post this originally but edited a couple things and it has to be reviewed by a moderator…being raised by a teacher turned me into a prude for grammar…

Begin post:
not as familiar with the ej20s….but have you checked the spark plugs for fouling? MAF dirty? Fuel pump/filter been replaced? A small issue with any one of these could compound into the issue you’re experiencing (specifically the rough idle)

another thought is either of your catalytic converters could be failing (or an o2 sensor).

basically, anything that affects your combustion cycle and exhaust cycle will directly affect exhaust pressure….which is what your turbo spools with. So if you have an intake, combustion, or exhaust issue that limits any area’s efficiency, your turbo won’t spool properly.

Start with the easy stuff and update with your results:
-clean MAF sensor
-check spark plugs and coil packs
-check air filter
-maybe clean the throttle body while you’re in there

if no progress, you might ask someone with a borescope to take a look at your converters (see if they’re broken/gummed up) or preventatively change your fuel pump/filter.

Not saying I have a solution for you, but those are my first thoughts…please update your progress on this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts