Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I've got a couple of reports that they do indeed fit on v7 struts w/ no problems (you do have to rplace rear strut tops w/ v8 ones however).

Second- the advertised lowering is 20mm, this is however over a 10mm lowering already on the v8 STi- thus anyone w/ a WRX (GDA) will see a ~ 30mm drop.

Both reports I've gotten report a very good performance gain with a good ride, these are early reoprts, but thus far both have been impressed.

Unfortunately for me 30mm is too much of a drop for a daily driver, but fro some it will be perfect I'm sure.

The springs rates increase rather significantly w/ the v8 lower springs as well- 252/217.

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Good information to know, I wonder why subaru decided to change the perch design on the v8 struts then if they are functionally the same. The drop should be just about right for me, since my RA springs and struts lowered my car maybe 10mm up front, I guess I will get the other 20mm or about 3/4 of an inch. Should be nice.

Bigsky, I thought you had the RA springs and struts too, so wouldn't you still only see a 20 mm more drop?

Last who was your source who said they worked with the V7 struts? pictures would help to I guess :)

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well actually the ride height info I got was from a fellow w/ spec C's and were a little odd in that he was ~ 20mm lower w/ the spec C's from oe

378 front/349 rear oe is 396/376, he then went down ~ 10mm to 367/339

My RA setup has me at 385/364 (~10mm lower)- I'd likely drop an additional 20mm from there to his 367ish/339ish- which is too low for me. Some RA users are seeing no drop in the front w/ a 10mm drop in the rear- don't know why this is.

This one is a v8 spec C w/ w v8 lowering springs, w/ measurements:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=5530878

This one is v7 springs w/ v8 lowering springs, this one has good pics, but no measurements

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=490688

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Cool, the black WRX with the STI lowering springs looks nice. Why is it that it will be to low for you? Do you do rally-x's? I to like my ride height, but I think this will be a good compromise, atleast for me.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KanosWRX said:
Cool, the black WRX with the STI lowering springs looks nice. Why is it that it will be to low for you? Do you do rally-x's? I to like my ride height, but I think this will be a good compromise, atleast for me.
Yeah- I rally-x, but also we've got fairly bad roads around as well as deep snow (sometimes ice-packed and like a rock). 20mm is they the very lowest I would (could) ever go- 10 or 15 would be better. I was looking hard at these due to the firmer spring rates. Prodrive is also going to be releasing a lowering spring for the v8 STi, but it will be as low (or possibly lower) as it requires replacing the bump stops in the struts.

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Got this e-mail back from rallispec (great people by the way). I asked them if v8 pink springs will work on v7 STI struts, and why the struts look different. this is the answer.

The springs are interchangeable. Version 8 struts have a redesigned lower spring perch design to help correct some issues Subaru has had with some models in the past whereby either the spring would pop out of the perch would collect water and the spring would rust away.

hmm, makes me think twice about the v7 struts.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The one with V8 struts, is it the V8 spec c struts and spec c springs, or are they different springs that lower it even more?

Big Sky WRX said:
Well actually the ride height info I got was from a fellow w/ spec C's and were a little odd in that he was ~ 20mm lower w/ the spec C's from oe

378 front/349 rear oe is 396/376, he then went down ~ 10mm to 367/339

My RA setup has me at 385/364 (~10mm lower)- I'd likely drop an additional 20mm from there to his 367ish/339ish- which is too low for me. Some RA users are seeing no drop in the front w/ a 10mm drop in the rear- don't know why this is.

This one is a v8 spec C w/ w v8 lowering springs, w/ measurements:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=5530878

This one is v7 springs w/ v8 lowering springs, this one has good pics, but no measurements

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=490688

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KnightWRXRider said:
The one with V8 struts, is it the V8 spec c struts and spec c springs, or are they different springs that lower it even more?
They are the aftermarket "pinks" which increase spring rates to 252/217 and lower about 30mm (lower than oem WRX that is).

·
Registered
307 Posts
What is the spring rate for spec c springs that come with the V8 spec c struts? Thanks.

Big Sky WRX said:
They are the aftermarket "pinks" which increase spring rates to 252/217 and lower about 30mm (lower than oem WRX that is).

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KnightWRXRider said:
What is the spring rate for spec c springs that come with the V8 spec c struts? Thanks.
From what I have seen at several japanese sites the v8 spec C doesn't change the spring rates form the "normal" STi- 188/173, the spec C does lower by 10mm however.

·
Registered
66 Posts
what struts are you on? are RA struts same as reg sti struts?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
BzY said:
what struts are you on? are RA struts same as reg sti struts?
The RA struts = the regular STi struts, as do the spec C = regular STi struts. FHI doesn't (at least they haven't yet) change the struts, just the springs. This has been confirmed w/ part #'s.

In the japanese sites I have visited, it does appear that the damping has been changed from v7 to v8- you can see it in this chart:

·
Registered
66 Posts
So it would be ok for my v7 struts to have a spring rate around 396/376 (spec c), and still pretty reliable?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BzY said:
So it would be ok for my v7 struts to have a spring rate around 396/376 (spec c), and still pretty reliable?
The 396/376 is oem ride height in mm (f/r) measured from center hub to fender lip.

The v7 reg spring rates are 188/173, the v7 RA are 217/192- the v8 reg and Spec C are both 188/173 w/ the spec C being 10mm lower. The damping in the v7 struts are a smidge firmer vs v8. You could easily run any combination of v7 and v8 bits- they allow for a pretty wide range of spring rates. All depends if you want oe ride height or lowered, and/or firmer or more firmer.

The only caveot is you must use v8 rear strut tops if you go v8 springs- actually this is a better designed top than the v7.

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KnightWRXRider said:
The Spec C is the set up from the RA, why would it be less firm than the RA?
History as I understand it. Earlier versions of the STi and WRX both had RA versions. Eventually just STi's. The 01 MY (Japan is one year ahead of us) saw the STi v7 RA. 02 saw the v7 RA Spec C- my understanding is that suspension wise was the same as the 01. MY03 they dropped the RA designator for just spec C, this is v8- this is where many of the suspension changes occured:

Increase in caster by ~ 1 degree, reinforced front crossmember, cross brace in front crossmember, change in mounting points on the trailing links, redisgned sway links, sway bar and rear lateral links- amongst others. In addition they kept the "regualr" spring rates, but dropped the ride height by 10mm and slightly reduced damping in the struts. Why- only FHI could answer that. My guess would be that w/ the other tweaks, that they didn't feel the need to increase spring rates.

BTW some are convinced the spring rates are higher, much like the earlier RA- I've seen too much evidence to the contrary.

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just read the thread- very interesting to say the least. Evidently they redesigned the piston top slightly to fit better w/ the new top.

Funny I have heard of several folks (including yourself) make no mention of the problem w/ the v7 STi struts and v8 springs.

If it is indeed different, I'll bet there is a way around it.

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just some info on why I think I and maybe others don't get a clunking noise like the person on nasioc said.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts