Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Had a great time yesterday, although I'm still struggling with coolant heating issues. Next steps I believe are to wire in a switch to activate the fans on high and try distilled water/water wetter after the winter.

Additionally, I was speaking with the owner of a very well respected race shop here and supposedly the grills on the WRX and STI are terrible for flow. he highly recommended finding something that was just a mesh backing..or do it his way for their race cars and dremel mine out.

Somewhat interested in the chargespeed grill, but $500 smackers for a piece of simple plastic seems deep.

anyway, enjoy the video!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Heat soak affects a lot of boosted cars. The Corvette Z06's LT4 has been well documented to have the dreaded switch to limp home mode happen far to often. It is especially troublesome in with 8 speed auto.

I suspect that the old and slow driver keeps my LT4 cooler. Well maybe the additional radiators and heat exchangers may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Here is an interesting update after a lot of research speaking with people who track their STIs about my heat problem:

I'll start with the oxymoron: To Build a Reliable Trackable STI, is to make it Unreliable. :)

heres the skiff:
I've talked with 3 primary people.
1. 2017 STI with similar mods to me: Radiator/Oil cooler, no performance based mods: overheats just as I do.
2. 2015 STI with many performance mods, but no radiator or oil cooler and running flex - Never overheats, max oil is around 233, max coolant about 220
3. full tilt 2015 STI with every mod you can probably imagine between performance and reliability - Never overheats - max oil around 235-240, max coolant about 205-210

What I've basically learned is these cars suffer HEAVILY from the high EGTs produced by the stock downpipe. I've got a koyo racing radiator, Mishimoto 19 row external oil cooler, and Killer B oil pan that holds an additional quart....and yet I STILL overheat after 3 or so laps. I've pushed my coolant temperatures to unsafe levels; we'll leave it at that.

It seems that running flex fuel and an aftermarket downpipe is the fix-all. Flex keeps things nice and cozy cool, downpipe opens up the gates for more flow...which we all know means you need injectors, protune blah blah.

what I'm getting at is for all the advice on here saying if you want to build a track car you need an oil cooler and an aftermarket radiator, I say...you're wrong.

You need an aftermarket downpipe, flex fuel, and the supporting mods to go with it. Fight me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts