ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a mechanic newbie, I read tons of articles online and decided to tackle a relatively easy upgrade job on my own, for the first time!! (Don't you laugh!!). So, the upgrade of Group N Trans Mount and Cross Member Bushings should be fairly easy to do, right? Just a couple of 14mm's and 17mm's and done deal!

So, after getting the necessary tools (breaker bars, 3/8 ratchet and a whole bunch of sockets), I started the work and got the car up on four jacks. Breaking loose the 14mm's seemed a bit harder than I would expect, because after all they are only torqued at 50 ft-lb or so, right? But, (and here's a big but), those 17mm's (107 ft-lb) just won't get off!! No matter what I tried, breaker bars, longer ratchet (maybe still not long enough) and hitting the breaker bars with hammers, punching the bolts, etc, and nothing worked! People would also suggest lubricants to spray and loosen up the bolts, but those 17mm's are down-facing ones. So I don't think spraying from underneath would do anything at all...

Anyways, it was a relatively irritating afternoon. I've got music and sort of enjoyed working on the car, but it's still very frustrating because nothing is really done. Now, the frustration has led me to a DeWalt electric impact wrench, and hopefully this will get those work done nicely.

So, would the electric impact wrench work? Anything I should be paying special attention to? People from online are saying that impact wrenches have higher risk to strip or snap the bolts. Is this correct? If so, how can I avoid doing so?

Thanks a lot...

Edit: By the way, the car is a 2011 wrx. And I've had it for just over a year now. So it's not like that I'm trying to work on a bolt that hasn't been touched by a quarter of a century.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
PB Blaster or liquid wrench the bolts...let sit for a few hours...then tackle the job.

Using an impact gun could certainly sheer off some bolts...so just make sure to find some replacements to have on hand.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mikie,
Would PB Blaster go "up" at all? The bolt is facing up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
PB Blaster is insane. Don't doubt the PB man, trust me. That stuff works on upside down bolts on my 94 wrangler with 200+k miles on it. Spray fairly liberally; Tap the bolt head with a wrench, not too hard but enough to set up some vibrations. Repeat. Try again. Hours makes it work better; but it honestly does start to act within minutes. Now, clearly it won't penetrate as deeply working against gravity, but it still does a fair job, somehow. With my jeep I had an upside down bolt that wouldn't come off... Filled a plastic sandwich baggie with PB, and taped it up so the bolt was in the PB...Came right off the next morning without issue. (And with the proper tool). My advice, rather than a big impact driver like that, find a smallish diameter pipe- just large enough to slip over the handle of your breaker bar. Hell, find a couple of different lengths. put pipe on breaker bar. Trust me..Leverage wins, every time. Unless you shear a bolt. That's just unfortunate.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pylon, thanks for the tip. Will definitely get some PB and try it out.

(Another newbie question) Just to be sure, after soaking the bolt with PB overnight, I need to clean the bolt before trying to turn it, right? Do I have to make it extremely clean? I'm just not sure if any left-over on the bolt would work as lubricant for the socket or not.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Id use air if you could get it.. I never have an issue with bolts, dont go overboard tho.. for the 17 you may need a 1/2" impact but the 14s should easily come out with 3/8s..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what's the difference between air impact and electric impact? Electric seems to be my solution, as I really don't have the time/resources to get an air compressors and all that stuff.

Yes, those 14mm's are easier and I did break lose those. It's just the 17mm's.... gosh they were stubborn!!

As someone pointed out, a replacement 17mm bolt might come in handy if I used impact... so where can I find the spec of that particular bolt?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
your subaru parts department. an electric impact will not be worth your $$ they dont provide the torque your looking for. How long is the breaker bar your talking about? Also are you using an extension?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your subaru parts department. an electric impact will not be worth your $$ they dont provide the torque your looking for. How long is the breaker bar your talking about? Also are you using an extension?
Thanks! I'll call them.

As for the impact wrench, the one I'm getting is DeWalt DW292-R Electric Corded 1/2" 7.5 Amp, rated up to 345 ft-lb torque. Why would it be not enough for the 107 ft-lb bolt?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
It might torque up to 345ft-lbs, but it will not even do half of that in reverse which is exactly what your looking for.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Like Torque said an air impact is what you are looking for.I tried using an electric impact on a stubborn bolt .All it did was to strip the bolt.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Irvin's got a good point. Whenever I have a bolt that won't come loose, I find a way that I can use my legs for power- I've never pushed the breaker bar with my legs, but if the car is lifted up in a very stable manner, I brace my legs on the subframe or any other structurally sound metal, and use them. Course- That's only if I can't get a pipe to fit into the space. It's alright to use standard sockets on a loose metric bolt...I prefer not to; I've stripped far too many bolts, and even broke the box end of a craftsman wrench once. Try to find a way to get the leverage you need- Just remember, if it can be avoided, Push, don't pull. There's no reason to blow out your back over transmission mounts :p I have the same electric impact you're talking about; It works reasonably well to get lugs off, if the battery is fully charged. Beyond that it hasn't been much use to me. And honestly, I never use OEM bolts if I break one... There's a nifty site called boltdepot; They sell anything you can imagine nut/bolt wise, And it's not hard to find some grade 8 bolts. Used them on my jeeps sport cage, and also replaced the body mount bolts that hold the body to the frame with grade 8 from bolt depot; They stood up quite well to any torture I put them to. (The frame itself didn't though... stupid PA roads.)

Note: thinking about it, I usually don't modify cars as new as 2011; So, I can't speak for if grade 8 bolts not from subaru themselves would eliminate any remaining warrenty. I feel like they probably would.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pylonpounder,

MANY thanks for all the info! Greatly appreciated!! I'll give it another shot with PB and a longer breaker bar during the weekend and see how it goes. :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,224 Posts
Try diplomacy first, soaking in PB blaster thoroughly, tapping, and heat (but only if you clean off the excess solvent, don't end up on the evening news...). I say diplomacy first because it's a strong bolt but nothing lasts forever, and shearing it off would be enough have my entire block hear me yelling.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I say diplomacy first because it's a strong bolt but nothing lasts forever, and shearing it off would be enough have my entire block hear me yelling.
LOL, but yeah, you're right. I'll go diplomacy first this weekend.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts