ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be using the Perrin instructions to guide myself through the install, but I'm unclear on a couple steps.

First, is it necessary to remove the O2 sensor in the passenger wheel well or can I just cut the shield that's around it and leave the O2 sensor alone?

Second, when jacking up the engine to allow the stock uppipe to drop out, where do I place the jack? I don't want to jack it up by the oil pan, is there a better location?

·
4,769 Posts
First, is it necessary to remove the O2 sensor in the passenger wheel well or can I just cut the shield that's around it and leave the O2 sensor alone?

Yes just cut the shield. It's tough stuff but you can cut it.

Second, when jacking up the engine to allow the stock uppipe to drop out, where do I place the jack? I don't want to jack it up by the oil pan, is there a better location?

I wouldn't recommend oil pan. It can dent. I go in from the top. I actually just had two friends move the engine while I pulled it out from the bottom. This was before I discovered that it was easier to do this from the top.

·
2,472 Posts
if you can't lift the engine from the top like dan does, you can use a flat piece of wood to place under the oil pan, and place the jack under the piece of wood so it doesn't dent the oil pan. this method has worked several times for me w/ no dents or bending w/ the oil pan.

-Robert

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes jacking it up with wood under the oil pan to create a nice base and prevent the jack from denting works fine, I just got through doing it. Personally, I wouldn't remove the turbo from the car if I really didn't have to!

BTW- The Perrin instructions talk about removing the midpipes as well as the downpipe... don't remove the midpipes, it's not necessary. Remove the bolt from the midpipe hanger, and lower the midpipe using a jack... that will allow you to get the downpipe out without removing more than you really have to.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
Tip: you might want to get some Samco hoses (there's a groupbuy in the vendor's section) because the stock intercooler is a pain to put back... unless someone can show you some special technique on angleing the intercooler and the piping.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I dunno personally I didn't have any problem getting it in. It's only two hoses, one for the turbo and one for the intake. Put a little soap on your finger and run it along the inside of the rubber hose before you slip it on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts