ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys i just got an 06 wrx and i love it its an amazing car!! but i would like to put an exhaust on it and go stage 2 so i was thinking about gettin a turbo back b/c i read on cobbs website that u need a turbo back for stage 2 and u also get added gains but i read on here that you can also go stage 2 with a downpipe and a catback id really like the sound of a catback with the performance of stage 2 but what about those extra gains from the turbo back? whats the difference between the two? will i still get the same stage2 output with a dp and a catback as i would with a full turboback system? thanks guys!

ps. does anyone know where i can get the "sti genome exhaust"(like the one in the exhaust video clip thread) or just an sti exhaust if it will fit on the wrx?

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
Turboback = downpipe + catback

To be stage 2, you really just need an aftermarket downpipe, though most people replace the whole thing. A budget setup would be something like an HKS downpipe and the stock catback.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would also be interested in an STI Genome exhaust. I love the way it sounds in the clips that I've heard, but I've never seen one for sale anywhere.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I would also be interested in an STI Genome exhaust. I love the way it sounds in the clips that I've heard, but I've never seen one for sale anywhere.
Subaru sells it, just call up the parts department and order, but it is $$$

·
Registered
0 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
it tappers to 2.5 to fit stock dp, its the same as the SPt with a can style muffler on the end.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
You can, you just need the dp to tapper to 2.5in. cobbs dp does that.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that seems like an amazing exhaust thank you for the suggestion! can u tell me a few things though? if i get the dp first will it bolt up to the stock cat back exhaust? i want a dp w/ a high flow cat does the srs have that? if it doesn't what is a good dp i could get that would fit with the srs catback that does have a high flow cat? in this link on ebay does what pipes does this come with im no exhaust expert lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SRS-...ryZ33630QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
28 Posts
SR*S doesn't make downpipe with high-flow cat ,because those high flow cat downpipe are useless and pointless ,they are not the actual cat-converter ,they are just a resonator and claim they are high flow cat ,so srs only make downpipe with cat-less , the link u show comes with a full catback exhaust only because catback means from the cat to the back, ,if you want a downpipe ,here is the link for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SR-S...ryZ33631QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this downpipe is cat-less ,straight through with 4 inches bell mouth open and 3 inches pipe ,this downpipe will direct bolt on to your turbo and then bolt on to the catback exhaust ,then you will have a full turbo back with no restriction and get all the power you can get from your engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
and also there is no reason for you to use a 2.5" taper down exhaust when you are doing turbo back , the only situation you will need those 2.5" taper down exhaust is when you planing to keep your down pipe stock forever on your car ,because the purpose of using a taper down exhaust is to bolt on to stock down pipe with no air leak out ,so if you planing to do turbo back ,the SR*S Full catback exhaust and the SR*S bell mouth down pipe would be your best choice ,because they are all the way 3 inches with no taper down on any portion of the exhaust and down pipe.

·
Registered
905 Posts
check out the invidia downpipes. they make both catted and non. i havent had any creep issues with it (running v4) on stage 2. its full 3", though. personally, id just keep it 3" all the way back, theres plenty of cb's that will fit it, especially if you keep within the same brand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the catback and down pipe 02-07 are all the same , and invidia is a pretty expensive down pipe ,you can almost buy a full SR*S catback exhaust with the invidia down pipe cost , for emission , mostly what people do is keep their stock down pipe and cat-converter in their garage ,when emission times come ,just swap them back to stock , won't take you more than 40 minute for the swap , if your car is still a new car ,you won't need to do emission check for 5 years , also for the invidia down pipe ,no where in their web site say that they will pass emission or carb/smog legal ,so you might end up paying more for the brand and still can't pass emission , if you want for sure pass emission this is the only way ,stock down pipe ,stock cat-converter and any after market catback exhaust system with removable silencer.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks man! so catless is sounding pretty good but the boost creep issue still has me worried any more advanced explanations of it and preferably why it won't happen to me? lol

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Lbleiweiss said:
thanks man! so catless is sounding pretty good but the boost creep issue still has me worried any more advanced explanations of it and preferably why it won't happen to me? lol
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/boost-creep.html

That'll give you more information on boost creep/spike.

http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/uppipedownpipe.htm said:
06-07 WRX NOTES: The 06-07 WRX has boost spike or creep issues in all cases with the use of a catless downpipe because the 2.5L engine pushes so much air. Even with the internal wastegate fully open, not enough air can exit to stop spinning the turbo, resulting in boost spiking. This problem cannot be fixed with wastegate porting alone; we suggest wastegate porting and engine management to remedy the situation. Due to this, 06+ WRX owners may want to consider waiting to get an aftermarket downpipe or turboback until after they have upgraded their turbo or they may want to consider getting a cat-back exhaust only.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts