ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hung (STIbungy) is coming over to help out with this, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can anyway. I've never been so frustrated by four damn wires in my entire life. Going into a project dead cold on the subject and trying to learn along the way WHILE meeting a deadine.....I now know it's a recipe for disaster!!!

Cliffnotes:

1. 15/30w soldering iron (using 30w setting.)
2. 20 gauge thick strand of solder
3. Four wires cursed by Satan himself sitting on top of my intake manifold...so there's no bench for me to do this on.
4. I have to avoid melting anything with the iron, IE-coil pack, anything plastic. I shielded it all with aluminum foil.

I know soldering makes for good connections and less "questions" regarding the solidity of the connection. I just never learned the process. I got all kinds of advice on Nasioc that just doesn't seem to be working.

1. Heating the wires just makes me look stupid sitting there...waiting for something to happen...and it never does, even on 20 gauge wires. What gives? I sit there for a few minutes on my gun's highest setting and nothing happens. I was told to heat the wires from underneath, place the solder on top, and just let it melt and flow through the connection. It no workie!

2. I can get the solder to dab to the tip of the gun. Fine, I have a means of getting the puddled solder TO the cut wires...but all this advice I'm getting tells me NOT to do it that way. Why?

3. When I dab the solder onto the twisted-together wires, it just kind of globs up around it. It's like I'm rolling it in dough. I learned to play with it a bit and spread it around. It kind of fluffs up a bit when it's molten, so there's more there to use than what it looks like at first. The one good one I did, you can't pull apart and it's a big enough gob of completed solder, with visible air bubbles in it. I tried it out, piecing it into my stereo wiring upstairs, and it ran fine. Shaking the thing and pulling on it caused no static at all.

4. So...does it really just need a good sturdy connection when soldering? The wires are twisted together tightly, so I don't think the solder could do anything else BUT wrap around the join. Yes? No?

Need input! Please?!?!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since you said you're doing this on your intake manifold I'm hoping you're in your garage. Any light breeze will cool off the soldering gun, and using a 30w will also make the job harder. If you are in your garage shut any and all doors that may be open. Also make sure your tip is clean.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
make sure the gun's tip is clean, get it hot and rub it on a damp sponge.

go to Radioshack, buy a tube of flux. it's a paste that you put on the wires first, then put the solder on the wire and use the gun to melt it on. the flux will "grab" the solder and pull it onto the wires, making it easier. hope these help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is also called "tinning". Be very patient when soldering..A solder sucker wouldn't hurt either if you keep having problems. It's a tool that grabs the solder you just laid down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts