ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be a rash of wheel thefts specifically targeting WRXs and STIs in Denver lately.

Thieves Are Stealing Wheels From Denver's Subarus

Just a reminder to not keep your wheel lock key in the glove box, and avoid parking on the street at night if you can help it. It seems the thieves are still at large.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks.
I do believe the pictured car is a WRX.
You are correct, now that I look more closely at the picture. The brakes are a giveaway, although the article said STI. Whatever, I added both to the first post, can't be too careful.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just read this. $500ea for (stock) STI wheels? Holy Cow! (They must be the BBS wheels). This is pretty sucky. Lesson learned: don't keep the lug key in the glove box.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read this. $500ea for (stock) STI wheels? Holy Cow! (They must be the BBS wheels). This is pretty sucky. Lesson learned: don't keep the lug key in the glove box.
Actually, $500 is comparatively cheap for what Subaru charges on their wheels. The optional 17" BBS's for the GDAs are $700 apiece. When one of my stock bugeye wheels was replaced after the accident, the MSRP was $320. I didn't pay that, of course, but that's what was on the bill that went to the other guy's insurance company.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hide my wheel lock key under the spare tire. If they have time to get to that, they might as well take the whole dang car !!!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A commenter on the article mentioned he is familiar with the Denver PD and in many cases of wheel theft, the wheels are sent directly to unscrupulous metal dealers to be melted down for scrap. The theives make pennies on the dollar, but there's no evidence trail.

Theives like this should be drawn and quartered...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts