ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I'm hoping to get some help from the those in the know. Here's the short of it:

I was trying to recharge the A/C on my 2002 WRX and the compressor completely stopped turning. Initially, I attached the recharge can to the low pressure valve as instructed, but the pressure gauge did not register any movement whatsoever. Again following instructions, I released about half of the can into the system, waited 3 minutes, and tried again. Then, I heard a low pop or knock, the compressor stopped spinning, and the needle on the recharge can finally registered pressure (about 35 psi - within the desired range). Now, the compressor doesn't spin, and the A/C still doesn't blow cold. Any suggestions? Thanks for your advice!

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Is the acc belt spinning the compressor at all? If not, you may need to replace the clutch pack that controls the compressor on/off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the A/C belt is spinning. I discharged the system, waited 20 min, and re-started the car. The compressor let out a squeal and started turning again. But, as soon as I started the charge the A/C, the same thing happened: "clunk" and no spinning.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Yes, the A/C belt is spinning. I discharged the system, waited 20 min, and re-started the car. The compressor let out a squeal and started turning again. But, as soon as I started the charge the A/C, the same thing happened: "clunk" and no spinning.
So you're clutch doesn't engage then. Looks like you'll need to replace it. I'd check the connections to the clutch first to make sure you don't have an electronic failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts