Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here but I can't seem to find a solid answer for this. I have a 2016 WRX Cobb stage 2+, Pro Tune, Process-west top mount intercooler, IAG Air oil separator, and a dual port turbosmart BOV. Everything else is cosmetic but when my a/c is running it sounds like a generator for a military grade laser... second, it also gives me frequent feedback knock when I'm cruising at around 10-15% throttle. Can someone send me to a thread about this or help with what I need to do? Cobb said it's just my compressor drawing power but I would like to run my A/C in Texas without any knock reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cobb told me the same thing, the only fix I could find to stop this was to add 3 gallons of 100 octane with every fill up. I'm assuming you are running a 93 octane tune, I'd try running a 91 octane map for the summer months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cobb told me the same thing, the only fix I could find to stop this was to add 3 gallons of 100 octane with every fill up. I'm assuming you are running a 93 octane tune, I'd try running a 91 octane map for the summer months.
Yep 93... I'm really considering the E85 kit but I would rather find a compressor fix

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
The compressor adds load to the engine the only solution there is to not use it. However your account shouldn't make a whole ton of noise. Have you verified the system is charged properly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The compressor adds load to the engine the only solution there is to not use it. However your account shouldn't make a whole ton of noise. Have you verified the system is charged properly

Yeah that's just unfortunate that not using it is really the only option I feel that I have. That's not a bad idea either, I'll have to check the charge. Which would be weird if it was off since it's only just over a year old.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Sometimes things happen. It shouldn't be loud though. Audible, but not generator loud.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
If there's an issue with the A/C unit that's causing it to be unnaturally loud, that could be a vibration that's triggering the knock sensor, leading to unnecessary pulled timing.

Is this your first car? Have previous cars had A/C this loud?

Is this car new to you? Was the A/C always this loud?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there's an issue with the A/C unit that's causing it to be unnaturally loud, that could be a vibration that's triggering the knock sensor, leading to unnecessary pulled timing.

Is this your first car? Have previous cars had A/C this loud?

Is this car new to you? Was the A/C always this loud?
I had previously had a brz with the same motor just non turbo. I haven't looked to see if they have the same a/c system but you couldn't ever hear the Brz's compressor like you can this one. And yes I'm the first owner.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Have your dealer look at it under warranty.

Or........ you could completely change the compressor to a smaller different one that takes less power to run. It would not work as well, though, and your A/C would be warmer and take longer to get cold (or cool) but it may solve your knock-due-to-engine-load issue.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts