Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an area where 93 octane (BP) is readily available, but what happens when you're traveling and you run into the 91 or 92 octane, and have a 93 map? Is it just safer to get the 91 map if you know that you are going to be driving outside of your "normal" driving area? Do you get both maps, and flash as needed?

Jeff

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
BP 93 is a top tier gasoline with a good detergent package. In the event you have to get lower octane fuel, you can always adjust timing on your map on the fly, and stay out of the throttle, until you're 100% sure your tank is back up to octane. I see youre in Illinois, and not sure just how much you're talking about traveling, but unless you're hitting a different coast, it's unlikely you'd be pressed to find 93.

Another option is to carry a good octane booster (Torco, etc.) with you if you plan to travel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you on BP. I notice a considerable difference between BP and Shell, not just on the car running smoother, but on gas mileage as well. For some reason with Shell's 93 octane, my gas gauge seems like it moves constantly. And the Shell gas stations around here, some will have 93 octane, and some have 92 octane for premium. I travel 40 miles each way to work every day, and make a point to time it out to hit the BP station when I need gas.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
784 Posts
BP 93 is a top tier gasoline with a good detergent package. In the event you have to get lower octane fuel, you can always adjust timing on your map on the fly, and stay out of the throttle, until you're 100% sure your tank is back up to octane. I see youre in Illinois, and not sure just how much you're talking about traveling, but unless you're hitting a different coast, it's unlikely you'd be pressed to find 93.

Another option is to carry a good octane booster (Torco, etc.) with you if you plan to travel.
Looks like OP has a WRX, unfortunately AP does't allow us to adjust timing on the fly on the FA20's, I have no idea why they have it this way.

OP, if you're just running Cobb's OTS tune you can just switch tunes easily. If you're talking about a ProTune/E-Tune you can have your tuner make you a 91 version of your tune you can use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts