ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
AjIsDope said:
I'm looking for some info on 300zx tt's such as how much power the stock motor can take, etc. If anyone here is knowledgable on this topic I would appreciate the help.
Heavy compared to us, but SOOOO much potential since they have the extra cylinders and another turbo in there, definately some great competition to a highly modded stage 4 car from a roll.

~Tim

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been doing my research, but I just got interested in these recently, so I still have a ways to go. I'm reading the how-to's, the various parts available, etc. Got any pics of yours EVLTTWIN?

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
AjIsDope said:
I'm looking for some info on 300zx tt's such as how much power the stock motor can take, etc. If anyone here is knowledgable on this topic I would appreciate the help.
I assume you are looking for times and HP.

-basic bolt on's can have you into the low 13's and high 12's (traction being the only problem)

-unlike its cousin the supra, the twin turbos on these cars are much more efficient and do not require a switch to a large single turbo for good gains. you can see anywhere from 400-500+ hp on the stock twins and stock blocks.

-once you build up the engine with some internals and move onto bigger and better turbo's, you can easily see 600+ HP.
There is a reputable shop in my area that strictly deals with 300zx's and 350z's. they have about 4 cars over 450whp and upto 550whp on the stock block and turbo's. they also have a couple in the 600-700whp range with upgraded turbos and minor internal work.

the cars are actually quite amazing, but are similar to supras with the whole dyno queen thing. With a few grand of work and on the stock turbo's you can easily run low 12's and better and do it fairly reliably as well.

(are these cars starting to divert your attention from the mustang?)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
514 Posts
At my local shop at DynoComp they were letting a guy build his 300zx their as he bought all his parts through them not to mention having them swap a sr20det into his sons 240. Anyways the guy isnt quite done but he has basically every Stillen bolton plus twin HKS GT3037 turbos in his car he is hoping for about 500-600whp. Also another good place to check for 300zx is www.freshalloy.com.

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
I love the older z's.....
I can never find one for sale here, though.
thanks for making my heart ache even more. 8 (
grrrrrrrr

:tissues:

hahaha

·
Registered
677 Posts
I was going to get one and then my parents bought the WRX.

They are fairly stout as far as the motor goes. The USDM motor is actually stronger than the JDM motor, kinda ironic in this day and age. The only downside is the v6 configuration because an inline 6 is more balanced. It requires a bunch of custom work to make a single turbo Z but there are so many high HP twin turbo Zs that it really isnt necessary. They recieve mods very well just like any other turbo car. Intake, exhaust, etc will yield very impressive results.

Personally I'd take a Z over a Supra so good choice on cars.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: 90-96 300ZXTT's: Anyone know them?

DTR rex said:

the cars are actually quite amazing, but are similar to supras with the whole dyno queen thing. With a few grand of work and on the stock turbo's you can easily run low 12's and better and do it fairly reliably as well.

(are these cars starting to divert your attention from the mustang?)
They do seem like pretty stout setups. Kind of like a "poor mans" Supra, in a way....but it's a Nissan. :tongue:

Originally posted by wrxlude
I love the older z's.....
I can never find one for sale here, though.
thanks for making my heart ache even more. 8 (
grrrrrrrr

:tissues:

hahaha
:D Anytime.

Originally posted by GTScoob
I was going to get one and then my parents bought the WRX.

They are fairly stout as far as the motor goes. The USDM motor is actually stronger than the JDM motor, kinda ironic in this day and age. The only downside is the v6 configuration because an inline 6 is more balanced. It requires a bunch of custom work to make a single turbo Z but there are so many high HP twin turbo Zs that it really isnt necessary. They recieve mods very well just like any other turbo car. Intake, exhaust, etc will yield very impressive results.

Personally I'd take a Z over a Supra so good choice on cars.
Never heard that about the USDM vs. JDM motor. Any idea why? Also, why do you prefer the Z over the Supra? (just curious)

·
Registered
411 Posts
the 300zx is primarly a USDM modified car, and do you blame them with all the cool cars that they can easily obtain.

engines are about the same. but i believe that the jdm cars continued to have variable timing while the usdm car lost it. 94-95 it lost vvt i think.

they are a pain in the a$$ to work on. make the subaru seem like a joy to wrench on.

luke

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
AjIsDope said:
Why do you say that? I heard the injectors were a task to replace but that's about it.
They are a bear to work on. It looks like they dropped the motor in from 20 feet above and bolted it up where it landed when they built it. I had to change an alternator on one once.....I wasn't happy.:mad:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trainrex said:
They are a bear to work on. It looks like they dropped the motor in from 20 feet above and bolted it up where it landed when they built it. I had to change an alternator on one once.....I wasn't happy.:mad:
So it's just a cramped area to work in then. Gotcha. Yeah the scooby is pretty easy to work on but I think they meant it to be that way knowing that sooooo many people would be modifying them. Look how many stock TT 300's are running around.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The USDM VG30DETT vs the JDM VG30DETT:

First off, the automatic 300ZXs have a smaller intake cam to reduce HP and thus make the tranny last longer. The auto 300ZXs were rated at 280HP, the manual ones were rated at 320HP because of a higher lift intake cam.

The JDM motors have the smaller cam so that they will meet the whole Japanese agreement for no cars over 280HP. I remember reading something about the internals being stronger in US cars to somewhere.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes.

The first year cars (1990) were problematic so try to avoid them.

After that the 91-93 are the prime ones.

In 94 they had to start adding more emissions junk which just got worse every year afterwards. On a plus note they got a slightly different interior and a better IMO spoiler on the turbo models.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts