Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
I had some moron put 87 in my tank once. All NJ stations are full serve. Stay out of the boost until 3/4 tank, get 94 ASAP. Then run to a half tank and get 93 octane. Stay on 93 after that. With this method, it should take about 500 miles to get back pure 93 octane in the tank.

-Jim

·
Registered
879 Posts
ProdriveMS said:
Anyway, take that experience as you wish. As for me, I stay away from Sunoco from now on. Just figured I would share with everyone.
Alin
That just ruined my morning, j/k. I'm interested in your findings since I run Sunoco 94 almost exclusively. I thought they only ran alcohol as an oxygenate for winter fuel. I think most other places around here use MTBE as the oxygenate.

I was also under the impression that service stations on the East and West coast only used MTBE. Service stations in the central US use alcohol due the availability of alcohol producing grain.

I would like anyone who has more info on this topic to chime in. There's no need for me to be spending $1.13/gallon for a fuel thats robbing power. Even though you were down a few horsepower you didnt mention any knock. Maybe thats the tradeoff, you could have possibly ran more timing/ less fuel. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I had some moron put 87 in my tank once. All NJ stations are full serve. Stay out of the boost until 3/4 tank, get 94 ASAP. Then run to a half tank and get 93 octane. Stay on 93 after that. With this method, it should take about 500 miles to get back pure 93 octane in the tank.

-Jim
I just had a moron put 87 in my tank this morning. $15 until i caught his F UP which is about 5 gallons. I put two bottles of lucas oil octane booster. Hopefully Ill be putting some 106 in tonight

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have heard, but not confirmed, that our cars have a drain plug on the gas tank. Might want to check that out, and if it's there, drain the crap gas and fill it up with premium.

If it's not there, just siphon it out.

Don't try to turn your gas tank and car into a chemistry lab by pouring chemicals and solvents in there. Trying to concoct a witches brew might do more harm than just driving like a grandma until the bad gas is burned out.

BTW, octane boosters don't really do a damn thing. It's been said before, and it's true.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
well the other night i bought some 104 and 109 and the car seems to be running ok. I reset the ecu and flashed the married stock mode. Ill just drive normally untill the next tank just to play it safe

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
well the other night i bought some 104 and 109 and the car seems to be running ok. I reset the ecu and flashed the married stock mode. Ill just drive normally untill the next tank just to play it safe
good luck with that :thumbup:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.