Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't go into the details of how it happened (mostly because it involved no small amount of personal stupidity), but there is a tank of 87 octane gas sitting in the tank right now. I have dialed the boost down to basically 0, and have been babying the car in a (hopefully) successful attempt to hold off knocking, but my questions are:

1) Any opinion on the safety/effectiveness of using a bottle of octane booster in this case?

2) If I don't use octane booster, do you think it is better to fill with premium frequently to dilute the amount of 87, or is it better to take the gas almost all the way to empty (or at least past 1/4 tank) and then fill up all at once?

All in all (given I originally thought that having 87 "swill" feeding my rex would be the end of the world), I have been surprised at how well it has run on it. Haven't had any knocking, etc.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where can i grab some 100?

100 octance gas would be great right around now. Any idea where I should look to get some 100 octane gas in No. VA? I am afraid that to find some at a track, I would have to drive far enough away that I might as well just wait to fill with premium from the local pump.

I think I will take the advice and grab a bottle of octane booster. Anyone know of a good brand that won't leave too much in the way of spark plug deposits, etc?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My rex is only lightly modded, with a mbc and an up-pipe. That probably has a good bit to do with my not having too much problem (not like I was going to try to run 16 + psi on 87 anyways). And I also hope that ANY widely sold car would not suffer catastrophic engine failure just from running low octane gas, but then again, you never know I guess.

oh, and I already tried offering my brother 10 bucks to siphon the gas from my tank. He politely declined. I told him he was passing up 10 bucks just for breathing in for a couple seconds. He remained unconvinced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the heads up, sonic.

djrez, is the thing about the toluene for real? if so, that's pretty cool. I could have just been feeding my car from out of my lab hood the whole time!

Thanks again, guys

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the help, guys!

I went ahead and ran some octane booster (still a little wary about how clean toluene combusts), and have gotten the gas down to about 1/4 tank. I went searching for some 100 octane locally and had a bit of trouble. Will try out that Sunoco. After i get some good grade gas in the car, plan to reset ECU just in case the anti-knock sensor has messed with timing or anything.

Babying the car for the past 250 miles has been an exercise in patience, to say the least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.