ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
EBC and uppipe!! reason: they cut down on a little turbo lag, AND they both look very nice installed.

---More opinions, RaCinWRX

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
if you plan on doing a lot more to the car than just maximizing the capablilities of the stock IC and turbo, the unichip will be necessary.

if you are just looking to get a little bit more juice, than the ebc will put you around 250hp or so at the crank. the chip alone won't do that much, although will certainly help (really depends on the map)

personally, i'd go for the uppipe and ebc, but like i said, depends what your goals are for the car.

dR

·
5,799 Posts
I'd go with a TurboXS stage-2 mapped Unichip. Actually, I have $700 burning a hole in my credit card and that's exactly what I'm doing...

It will put you close to 300HP with the other mods you are running.

-Pace

·
Registered
49 Posts
XS Unichip stage 2

What's the difference between the mappings? Would a stage 2 map still give greater performance gains on an otherwise stock WRX?

·
5,799 Posts
Dan,
Are the TurboXS stage-2 numbers a little 'optimistic' would you say? Their dyno plot shows 222WHP which they equate to 298HP. By my calculations it's closer to 280HP, but your comments indicate that might not be possible on the TD04. Do you think 280HP is realistic?

Cheers,
-Pace

·
5,799 Posts
Well.... no arguments here that it would certainly be running at or near it limits at the kind of numbers they claim to achieve.

Your dyno plot has made me an 1818 believer. Will probably have to wait till next year, though.

-Pace

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking ebc and uppipe, but that uppipe installation scares me from all the stories I've heard with 8hour installs and exhaust leaks. Unichip is installed in what, 15min.?

Anyway I hear the Blitz SBC-id is the best ebc on the market. Any other ones that cost less that are almost as good?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I'm with the other guys (well, most of the other guys) on this. I'd go for uppipe and ebc first. They make a great base to start playing with, and I think you'd get a little better "bang for the buck" starting out with this. Afterwards, the other parts will only help, and you'd probably have to get them eventually (ok, maybe not an ebc, but I'd still think you need it at some point depending upon your goals, of course). My $0.02

·
Registered
854 Posts
What reasonable gains can be expected from the unichip on a stock WRX? I rally don't want to mess with any of the exhaust components at this time. The most I would do is a Unichip and a K&N. What power increase can I expect? TXS says "30 min = 30 hp" is that correct?

·
Registered
854 Posts
So that sound pretty good to me with stock components. 30hp at the wheels = about 36 hp crank. 227 + 36 = 263hp (+/- 3hp). A muffler itself will not give significant gains. I'm waiting for Magnaflow to come out with theirs anyway. Going from 227 to about 260 is a significant jump to me. That put a stock WRX right at Mustang GT hp. And the WRX is already a threat to a GT. I really don't want to mess with an MBC at this time until I understand what it takes to handle more boost.

I think I might be contacting TXS pretty soon.;)

·
4,769 Posts
Actually you don't need an MBC w/ the unichip. It comes with a bleeder valve to adjust boost a bit and the unichip does the rest. It is ONLY recommended with stock turbo though. If going bigger you want a seperate EBC. I never use the unichip or MBC's for boost control on any car I work on. As for the 30 HP claim, that might be at the crank that they quote. Not at the wheels and all cars are a bit different so don't start doing mathematical computations just yet. Also, remember that the gains may not be at peak power point. To be honest with you I know little about the Turbo XS stage 1 so take a look at their dyno charts to see exactly where you are going to get gains. I know you don't get a lot from 6000-7000 since the turbo is already maxed out there.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
the apexi avc-r is a comparable boost controller. for about $550 (or a little less) you can get basically ll the same functions. i actually like the avcr better, a little more for options, still has the fuzzy logic capabilities, and has a better looking interface.

god, i know you are an sbc owner, what's your take on the two?

dR

·
4,769 Posts
I used to use the AVCR. You're right it does have more features for the money BUT the SBC-id has dual selenoids that make the AVCR single one look like a joke. The SBC-id is also MUCH easier to use/install, smaller display unit and responds faster than the AVCR. That and if you get the Power meter, the SBC can do everything the AVCR can do and more. lastly, the SBC-id reads in PSI if you prefer whereas the AVCR does not. On a side note I HATE the way the AVCR looks. Very glitzy and too darn big to mount anywhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
SBC-ID...

Hi guys.. I am planning on getting this but while I wait I am wondering where to mount this unit. I plan on keeping the stock radio so where else can I mount it? For those who has this EBC (God), any suggestions or pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts