ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know this may be a very stupid to ask, but at the end of the line. Tomorrow morning we planned on doing the swap, but now I'm missing a piece (considering that I trusted someone that told me he has a diff that he can sell to me, but the guy left me dry the last moment). I was wondering if it is possible to drive around temporarily with the stock r160 diff that is not 3.90 (thats if I can't find any tomorrow morning, if I do find one tomorrow I will go with the 3.90 swap this is as a last resort)?

-- i would go ahead and do the swap another day, but I'm trying to do it on my friends schedule since he is doing the swap for me at no expense. All in all, can I drive the car with the 6MT sti v7 trans swap without a 3.90 FD diff?

thanks in advance, and sorry for the stupid question. --- the best way to get knowledge is by asking, this coming from a noob.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or instead of all that I stated above, can I convert the center diff on the 6MT from 1.0:1 to 1.1:1 so I can use my stock WRX r160 diff?

·
Æternum
20,953 Posts
You will need to match your F/D correctly. If you don't VERY bad things will happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I now understand that I NEED the correct diff. But, t0rque I don't have to get the r180, I know that is optional. All I need is an r160 with 3.90 and I should be good.

-- Well, hopefully since I need the correct diff I can buy a pinon and ring off a dealer and convert my current one to 3.90 or find in a junkyard a r160 from a old subaru legacy turbo (they come with 3.90)

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
problem with the r160, you need an automatic transmission drive shaft to fit it.

·
Æternum
20,953 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
My understanding is that the forester and impreza use a LOT of the same drivetrain parts. So it may work.

·
Æternum
20,953 Posts
My understanding is that the forester and impreza use a LOT of the same drivetrain parts. So it may work.
Everything but the final drive...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts