ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 wrx
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 6MT from an 07 sti that is supposedly going out. I recently took my wrx to my tuner for an inspection and they said my center diff is going out. But a lot of people seem to report clunking, popping or other just bad stuff when doing sharp turns and sometimes even just driving. The only thing I got is a loud whine and some vibration while turning. My shop quoted me $3,300 for the whole repair. The thing is it just seems to be bearings. I'm going to do this work myself, but do you guys think my center diff is bad from what I've described? If so what would y'all recommend? Are there rebuild kits available or do I just replace it. On top of that, any advice, resources, guides, and especially part numbers for the rebuild would be a big help from yall.

·
Registered
2004 wrx
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A side note, I am about 90% sure this transmission has a dccd center diff. I am planning on getting an sti cluster and was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to hook up an aftermarket dccd controller (as I have a 04 wrx, not sti) to the stock sti gauge indicators and whatnot

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
DCCDpro is compatible with the cluster display IIRC. You might have to do some manual wiring, but I recall members doing a full STI swap including the cluster and having all of the functionality. If it's a USDM STI transmission, it has DCCD. If it's from a 2007 USDM STI, it also has a Torsen center diff.

I find it hard to believe that the Torsen differential is failing. The vibration while turning -- also check to make sure that your U-joints are properly secured and lubricated.

Can you confirm the details of the swap? What driveshaft was used and what rear differential? IIRC, the 2007 STI 6MT is a 1.1:1 center diff ratio same as the 2004 WRX which does allow the stock R160 with E4AT driveshaft.

Before shelling out big bucks on a fully depreciated platform (if that's even worth it to you), start by draining and replacing all your fluids. Binding when turning can also be a symptom of a damaged front or rear differential.

·
Registered
2004 wrx
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the swap was done by the previous owner, so the details that I can confirm are the ones on the invoice, which states 6mt off a 2007, 4eat driveshaft and new axles. I would be willing to bet however that my issues are caused by a bad rear diff (now that you mention it). It's a lot older than the rest of the drivetrain and when I changed its oil, I saw some larger metal shavings come out, which does not inspire confidence.

As far as proceeding with the center diff, regardless of whether or not the center diff is actually damaged, it's going to be removed as the bearings in the tail assembly are undoubtedly shot based on the very loud while I hear. So when that is done I'll find out if it's usdm or jdm, and proceed accordingly.

As far as the DCCD controller, that's good news to me. And I'll definitely have fun wiring that bad boy up.

Post Script: This might be a dumb question, but what does a fully depreciated platform mean?

·
11,231 Posts
No longer supported. Most manufacturers have a 10 year support cycle post last date of manufacture. So this means the suppliers continue to make OEM replacement parts for that cycle. After the support window closes the component is depreciated.

Some components carry over from year to year even after the final year, or particular components are changed during a products cycle. So if a component was to change to a different component in 2010 in 2021 that component would be depreciated but the entire assembly, whatever that may be, wouldn't be.

At least that's how we classify depreciation at my company who is an automotive supplier. We use the term end of life and depreciated however I've only heard the term outside of my company in reference to software and technology.

It isn't uncommon to see bits of metal in diffs when the fluid is changed. Partly because it's metal components that rub each other and don't ride on a cushion of oil like a bearing, and partly because there are still people who think diff fluid is "lifetime" and never change it.

·
Registered
2004 wrx
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, so an update. Like I said, I'm going to do this job myself, but I've never done this kind of work before (basically only worked on engines till now) find information has been a little rough. So I'm going to take a video and the job and link it here so hopefully it can help someone else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts