ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,
I've had my wrx wagon for 4 years now and I've done only the basic maintenance for my car, oil change, rotate tires, air filter. I'm coming up on my 60K tune up. I didn't do my 30K. My question is, I think I should do the things listed in the manual even though my car still runs beautifully. The question is, do you guys trust an independent garage to do this type of stuff or would you take it to the dealer which would cost more? I don't know of any good mechanics personally, but I guess I could ask around. In any case, do you think it is worth it to pay the difference to get the factory parts and service? thanks!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
The factory parts involved are listed with whether I'd insist on a Subaru part:

coolant -- yes
oil filter -- maybe
air filter -- maybe
brake fluid -- no
gear oil -- maybe for gearbox, no for rear differential
fuel filter -- no
brake parts if needed -- no

I'd DIY as much as possible to save $$ and have a competent shop do the rest. I'd consider most dealers a competent shop. You may want to DIY the oil, gear oil, fuel filter, and brakes, as these are easy with relatively little mess, and hire someone to bleed the brakes and drain the coolant, as these are boring and/or with more mess to dispose of properly. All this IMO, and be careful. There are DIY threads here and elsewhere, be safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your input, I'm not much of a DIY person. I can do air filter and oil change if forced to. I don't have many of the tools so I think I might take it to an independent garage and have them do it for me.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
Look for other Subarus in the garage. Also, be sure to tell them the hood is aluminium and to close it ONLY by dropping, NOT by pushing it, as it may crease.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts