Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
STi 6-speed tranny? Pointers?

This mod will happen after the new year because the OEM one is acting up and my wife has a worse case of mod fever than I do when it comes to the WRX.

So, has anyone here done this already? Any input? Any hints or tips to make this transition, or should I say transmission, go as smoothly as possible?

Thanks in advance,
Phillip

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the links. I hated having to go to me, myself, and i-club to find informtion. But, I did. It was helpful. This is something that will happen next year...probably around spring time.

I made a deal with the wife. If she gets a six speed for the WRX and I get a six speed for my M Roadster. Hell, she's already getting that Cobb Stage 3 brake kit on Monday. So, she's one upped me already! Wench!

·
Registered
3 Posts
get the 6-spd it is sooooo much better
oh you can actualy downshift to first but it sucks on the interstate, maybe you could get a euro version

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
RalliSpec sells a complete 5-Speed to 6-Speed Conversion Kit for $2,300. You could probably save some $$$ if you searched around and got the parts separately, although it would probably be a lot more time and trouble.

http://www.rallispec.com/product-gearbox.htm
This kit includes all parts necessary to allow the use of the STi 6-speed in a standard Impreza model originally equipped with the 5-speed. Purchase either RST-1102 or RST-1102B gearbox and add this kit. Special Order 6 Weeks.

Kit includes the following parts: propshaft, STi short-throw shift linkage, standard STi 240mm flywheel, flywheel cover, standard STi 240mm clutch assembly, transmission crossmembers, STi hardened transmission mount, clutch fork, exhaust hanger, STi standard shift knob, shifter trim & boot, rear ring & pinion set, rear diff. gasket & seals. Different clutch & flywheels can be supplied at additional cost.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bdoug said:
RalliSpec sells a complete 5-Speed to 6-Speed Conversion Kit for $2,300. You could probably save some $$$ if you searched around and got the parts separately, although it would probably be a lot more time and trouble.

http://www.rallispec.com/product-gearbox.htm
FYI - You still have to spend another $5000 for the actual tranny.

How in the hell did BADWRX get everything for $4000???

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think you lose reverse with the conversion. From my understanding, the Stira 5 speed is exceptional.

Didn't you just get a new tranny Phillip?

Russ

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I just helped a friend install a STi RA 6MT onto his WRX last weekend. I will check this thread if you have specific questions, otherwise pm/email me.

I think he paid roughly $5k for everything (tranny, rear diff, etc, etc) from 4starmotorsports in canada. It took us about 16 hours.

tcc

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We did not get a new tranny. At first only 4th gear became a nuisance. So, we found that it was a faulty synchro and shifter fork. Rather than replacing the whole tranny, we thought we might try this simple route first and see how long it would last. Well, it's been about 3 months and I detect 4th gear acting up again. So, we've decided to just go ahead and replace the tranny with the 6MT.

So, do you really lose reverse? What is the website for 4star? Can anyone help me source the parts. I have heard back from BADWRX and he tells me that his threads are accurate in terms of $4000 for everything he needed and how simple the install was. He gave me a couple of leads on sources for parts, but I would like to make sure I hit all the bases. Plus, I don't want to wait for Part XXXIII at i-club to get to the conclusion of that series. :D

What is everyone else's thoughts?

Thanks again, fellas.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
http://www.fourstarmotorsports.com/ Click on Performance parts and its on that first page. You will probably have to call for the stuff.

You don't lose reverse with the STi swap. Its just got a reverse lockout on the tranny that you have a little pull knob on the shift lever (similar to a boat).

The guys name on nasioc is 'dwx' that I helped. He can probably give you more info about where to source things and what you need, since it was his car. We just helped him install it. I'll direct him here.

Jay

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm the one that Jay is talking about. BADWRX kind of got a one-time deal because he bought the transmission off another member that was selling it at the time on Ebay. I bought mine from four star motorsports up in Toronto along with another guy in the area. There are two more guys here that have them as well that they bought from Ron at Axis Power Racing. The cost for the transmissions is around $4200 and that includes the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, and shift linkage. You need the propshaft off either a 6MT car or an automatic US WRX. 4star sells the propshafts for like $250 I believe. You may be able to get one cheaper at a junkyard in the US. The only other thing you need is a rear differential with a 3.90 final drive. There are a few options for this. You can try and find a rear R160 LSD off a 91-92 Legacy turbo which is 3.90, that's what BADWRX did. That diff may cost you $100-400 from a junkyard. You can get a 3.90 open rear diff off a number of different Subarus. Or you can do a ring/pinion gear swap in your current R160 LSD, which is what I did. I had AV Sports do the swap into another donor R160 that I had.

The 6MT cars come with a R180 rear diff with a Suretrak LSD or no LSD. The problem with the R180 is it uses bigger axles which requires new hubs, backing plates, and brakes. The additional cost of doing the R180 and the other parts is probably $1500-2000.

My costs incurred were:

6MT transmission w/shifter/flywheel/linkage - $4129? or thereabouts
Ring+pinion swap into R160 - $500 ($120 of this was shipping, it weighs 54 lbs, you may be able to find a tranny shop locally that can do it).
6MT propshaft - $250? I can't remember what it cost.

That's it, that's all you need. You don't lose reverse or anything like that, it's a whole new transmission.

Also, it's possible to use the 5MT clutch/flywheel/pressure plate with the 6MT, it's just a slightly smaller diameter. You absolutely need the shift linkage though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much, guys. I've been copying and pasting these messages to someone I know who may be able to help me gather all the parts. I'm hoping the 4th gear holds up for a couple more months because I've just dropped some money on the UTEC and I need to have the front lip repaired. The car runs damn smooth, by the way! Plus, I want a six speed in my M Roadster! :D

I will keep you all posted. If you happen to come across a deal on these parts, don't hesitate to throw a heads up my way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The resurection has begun!

Parts will be sourced and ordered this week.

6MT shall be ours! Die STi! Die Evo 8! :D

Boost will be cranked! Women and children will be scared...and it will be the WIFE behind the wheel! :D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Good luck with the swap! So what/where/how much/etc? :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm having my new shop, Pro Imports in Gaithersburg, MD, do all the work. They are sourcing the parts and will be installing it for me. Everything should run about $7000-$8000. Not certain yet. But, we have a nice long road trip planned down to Miami in a couple months and we don't want that damn 4th gear going screwy on us again.

Pro Imports website:
www.pro-imports.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts