Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think that the Sti Transmission is a more reliable transmission than the original? Also, how much does one cost with full labor and parts? I'm interested in buying a WRX but am a little unsure after I am seeing all these posts about the bad gears and transmission defects. Does anyone think that I should get a WRX and then install an Sti trans. in?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I'm sure its stronger, and it is six speed. But I've heard figures of 10 grand plus for parts and labor. Then you have a Frankenstein car with no warranty and low resale - unless you can find someone who actually wants a modified car. You'd be better off getting an S4 - a car with a warranty and a resale value more inline with the original price of the car. Of course, be aware that if you abuse an S4, it'll break too. Hhhmmmm....maybe the S4 isn't such a great idea if you'd have to modify it too. 40 gs plus 5 - 10k for gearbox parts.....then you're up into the 50 grand range. Maybe a Vette?

C

·
Registered
17 Posts
for the extra that it would cost to mod the tranny why not wait and see how much the sti comes in at on this side of the ocean.

that's what i'm gonna do :D

either that or a m-coupe :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear that the Sti version will run $30k or more. I don't have that type of money to spend for a car. I was considering buying the car and if the trans. broke letting the warranty take care of it and then later after warranty expires, I would install the new trans.

What do you think?:confused:

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
there are probably people here that are a hundred times more qualified then me to answer your question due to there experience with wrx's but let me give you some common sense (for me anyway) advice. if you're already assuming you'll have major powertrain problems maybe this isn't the right car for you.

if you include the price of a sti tranny transplant the price of the wrx is more then the assumed price of the sti.

if you like the car and you treat it right i'm sure you'll have hundreds of thousands of miles of fun! :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't plan on treating it badly but once in a while I would like to mess around without the worry of the cars trans. screwing up. I would like to race a couple of people and kick their a$$.

Thanks.

·
1,911 Posts
I'm pushing 390 HP and no problems with the trans at all. I have built many 360+ HP cars running around here and have had clutch issues but no trans issues. We have finally solved all the trans issues with the new ATS carbon fiber clutch assembly. That thing is incredible and we will be releasing the twin plate version for you 600 HP folks soon. Don't bother doing a 6 speed swap. WAY too expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
svxtc said:
I hear that the Sti version will run $30k or more. I don't have that type of money to spend for a car. I was considering buying the car and if the trans. broke letting the warranty take care of it and then later after warranty expires, I would install the new trans.

Thanks.
That's the smart move. If you don't abuse it, it probably won't break. Iff you treat it right, odds are you'll be sitting there at 150k miles and an original tranny that's still like new thinking "I sure am glad I didn't drop a bunch on a tranny when this car was new".

·
Registered
160 Posts
The driver has the biggest input into how long the drivetrain will last in a turbo/AWD car. I would agree with Dan on the 6spd. If you want that, just hold off for the STi. You can go put a deposit on one now. I passed up the offer. Get a modena dogbox if you must and spend the additional 7 grand you saved to whip the tar out of an STi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not too woried about racing really fast cars, my main concern is to be able to beat a VW Golf GTI that my friend owns. I also want to be able to beat it as many times as I want without worring about the car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
svxtc said:

Thanks.
I think if you don't have $30k for the car, you'll never have the STi-tranny in a US spec WRX. Like someone mentioned, all tolled, you're looking at near 35k for what you're considering. And don't expect SOA to replace your broken tranny if it breaks while you're racing your friends GTI. Any good technician can identify the hallmarks of racing abuse, which is one of the few things that WILL flat out void your new car warranty.
I got a quote from a rally car fab shop about the 6-speed and it was just shy of 11grand out the door. They said they could do V5 or V6 STi hardend gear set for around 2grand, maybe less.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
svxtc said:
I'm not too woried about racing really fast cars, my main concern is to be able to beat a VW Golf GTI that my friend owns. I also want to be able to beat it as many times as I want without worring about the car.

Thanks.
How fast is the GTI? It really shouldn't be a problem, especially if you just upgrade power.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
svxtc said:

Thanks.
If you really want to abuse it without any problems, don't get an AWD car. The drivetrains are just more prone to damage from shock since they don't light up the tires easily. On the other hand, any machine - car, bike, saw, pump, whatever - will break if abused enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It isn't really fast, it only has like 220 hp. I think that I could beat the car with a stock WRX.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Yeah, you'll kick the crap out of a VR6 GTi, and totally bury lesser models. It's the torque where the WRX really kicks butt.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
If you can, consider getting a V5 or V6 STI RA box as someone suggested. The RA is the one to get rather than just the regular STi in terms of close ratios suited for rallying. As for the reliability with the stock box, the only people really having problems with it are the same ones hard powershifting and dragging their Impreza WRXs. Rally is hard abuse and I know many a Production class rallyer who still have their stock boxs.
On the other hand, for serious competition, there's always the dogbox(assuming you are well acquainted with double clutching-or double declutching as the Brits say). You don't necessarily need a 6speed box anyway, you are much better off tuning the car right and getting a usable powerband. You'd have less gears to fuss with and better grunt throughout.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't want to use if for rallying, I just want to be able to race my friend without the worry of something breaking.

·
Registered
430 Posts
GV27 said:
Yeah, you'll kick the crap out of a VR6 GTi, and totally bury lesser models. It's the torque where the WRX really kicks butt.
A VR6 has a much better torque profile. The WRX stock will beat a VR6 stock, but not on mid to high end, and I mean 60-120mph range. Oh yeah, the VR6 will pull a lot nicer till 140mph. Now if you want to do some light modding then the 1.8T will smack down on the WRX once it is rolling.. why? less lag.. a lot less lag.. and I mean a lot less lag. Now if it's all curves on a wet road you will lay it down all the time, just don't let them get near a straightaway.

You will have to learn to keep the RPM's high and in our torque range if you want to beat a wider torque car.. Hard core race cars that I know of tend to keep have gearing so they can stay high up since all the power designs are for high rpm power. Unfortunately we have some wide gearing early on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
GV27 said:
I'm sure its stronger, and it is six speed. But I've heard figures of 10 grand plus for parts and labor. Then you have a Frankenstein car with no warranty and low resale - unless you can find someone who actually wants a modified car. You'd be better off getting an S4 - a car with a warranty and a resale value more inline with the original price of the car. Of course, be aware that if you abuse an S4, it'll break too. Hhhmmmm....maybe the S4 isn't such a great idea if you'd have to modify it too. 40 gs plus 5 - 10k for gearbox parts.....then you're up into the 50 grand range. Maybe a Vette?

C
Unfortunately, theyre not making the S4 anymore. Its still on their website, but I went to the dealer to check one out and he had a good chuckle in showing me their now highest _4 model, the N/A 3.0

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually there is still the S4. This reason you may not be able to get it yet is due to the recent A/S 4 series change(ie slight remodeling of the 4 series lineup). The S4 you probably saw on the site is the previous body style. So yes, there is an S4....the cars you won't see in North America would be something like an S3 or the new RS6.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts