ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there lv got a question l have an 05 wrx 2.0 5 speed and was wanting to do a 6 speed sti swap and not sure witch ones to look at should l go with an 05 sti transmission because l have an 05 or is there a different year that would be best??

Any help would be great thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
It would likely be best and less expensive in the end to find an sti and just buy it

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
It would likely be best and less expensive in the end to find an sti and just buy it
This is correct, plus you would get all the added benefits of the STI including the engine, ECU, turbo, brakes, and better resell.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya buy a whole new car, makes sense. 15+ k , higher insurance, more expensive maintenance bills and higher taxes. I have a beautiful blue 05 wrx the exact car l want and l just wanted a little info on an upgrade l was thinking over doing. In the future id like to build the car and having an sti wont matter once upgrades go on.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
Ya buy a whole new car, makes sense. 15+ k , higher insurance, more expensive maintenance bills and higher taxes. I have a beautiful blue 05 wrx the exact car l want and l just wanted a little info on an upgrade l was thinking over doing. In the future id like to build the car and having an sti wont matter once upgrades go on.
Enjoy spending $7-10k on a 6spd swap, but still missing the engine, turbo, intercooler and resale.

What additional "maintenance" costs are you indicating?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not 7-10 k for a swap its maybe 2500-3500 and if you dont know the answer then go troll someone elses tread and let me try to get actual answers thank

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
Its not 7-10 k for a swap its maybe 2500-3500 and if you dont know the answer then go troll someone elses tread and let me try to get actual answers thank
I already did research on it. Absolutely plan on upwards of 10k. You need the transmission that eats up your 2500-3500, axles, hubs, knuckles, driveshaft, diff, brakes, wheels, I recall finding i needed different struts but may be mistaken. Once you've sourced all of that, and it's going to be a hodgepodge of multiple years, you still have no way to control the dccd, so plan on upwards of 1000+ on all of that.

At the end of the day after about 2 months of looking I was over 6500 in parts alone. Plus any labor I needed from a performance shop at 150+ an hour it got stupid fast.

The maintenance will be a nightmare because you don't have anything for a single model year. Just buying an sti will be the same price to maintain as your car is now. Insurance isn't even a factor as most I've talked to who have switched have seen zero change in cost, or a marginal one totaling a few bucks a month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts