ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 STi with 93k miles and 4th gear is starting to grind so my plan is to rebuild it. I'm having trouble finding any rebuild kits. Synchros, bearings, seals and all that mess. So if anybody knows of a place that sells kits that would be great and if any one has rebuilt their own and has some tips that would also be great. Thanks.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this, but have you tried Uncle Scotty's . Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .tail?

I had 5th gear synchro grind, and after running it for 1K miles, the grind is gone and has been for 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I've tried is royal purple so far. I don't know how I feel about pouring various fluids into my tranny but if it saves me from having to rebuild it for a while I might as well give it a shot. I get paid Thursday then ****tail time.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I would try ExtraS from subaru. It's the best gear oil in my opinion.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
I would try ExtraS from subaru. It's the best gear oil in my opinion.
This.

But the c0cktail will help to eliminate the synchro grind. c0cktail for 1K miles, Extra-S after that.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright Extra S if that doesn't work Red Line then if all else fails ****tail and if that doesn't work I'll swap in a small block with a four speed and never have a problem again. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I had very bad experiences with Redline. I had the 75w-90NS with lightweight shockproof and I believe that caused the grind.
OTOH, I had Redline in my 2007 STI and it only improved shifting. So much smoother.

However I have heard a lot of horror stories on IWST where Redline shockproof caused a ton of grinding issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm kind of looking foward to rebuilding the tranny. Never done a 6 speed before but I need to swap the cluth out as well and probably buy several speciatly tools so money constraints start coming into play. I'll try anything to get it to last as long as possible. Luckly it is not my DD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright 2qts Motul 300 and 2 qts Redline shockproof is working like a champ so far(500 miles). Smoother shifts and no more grinding. Thanks for all the sugestions everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts