ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setup: 2012 WRX with Kartboy STS with TiC pivot bushings.

Issue: So I recently heard a new noise coming from my shifter. When shifting into 5th gear, I hear a metal rattle noise. It only happens when I am driving and the tranny is working. If I am stopped, it will not do it. I also notice that getting into 5th gear is a bit of a pain at times. My first thought is something is loose in there like the pivot bushing which is rattling when getting feedback from the tranny. I am going to try and take off the center console to see what the issue is when I get home later today. Before then, any ideas?

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Hard to say without popping the console and putting it in 5th. I'm curious what you find out though because I just did the same mod. So far no unknown noises though.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Hmmm...bolt going through pivot sleeve/bushings overtorqued and dinging on the right side of the metal trim/bezel? More grease?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm hoping it's just something with that bushing. And to be even more descriptive the rattle only happens at that point right before you are in gear. So if you are cruising an you push it towards 5th but don't go in all the way, that's where it makes the noise. This happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also are there any known cases of a STS causing some tranny issues?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also does anyone know if they will give me $h** if I take it into the dealer with a KB STS?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Also does anyone know if they will give me $h** if I take it into the dealer with a KB STS?
If the issue is coming directly from the shifter assembly or that area, they'd certainly have to take it into consideration, especially if it isn't an SPT one.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Before doing that, I'd just take the console and boot off, put the shift knob back on, and test drive it. You may be able to identify exactly what it is just by doing this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before doing that, I'd just take the console and boot off, put the shift knob back on, and test drive it. You may be able to identify exactly what it is just by doing this.
So I tried that, and still heard the noise (which I can describe better as a sort of grinding not rattling).

I then took it too the dealer to let a tech drive it. He said that it seemed normal. So I don't know if i'm going insane or not. After doing some more extensive research on the issue, I read a lot of other threads about people having similar issues in 5th gear. Some say it is the syncros not being fast enough when switching from 4th to 5th. I've tested out the gear with the car off, and it goes in smoothly. The tech said that when your driving, 5th is a little harder to get into because it needs to pass through some sort of gate so that you don't go into reverse by mistake.

Does anyone else here hear a light grinding noise when going into 5th gear at 3.5k rpms and up?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
The tech said that when your driving, 5th is a little harder to get into because it needs to pass through some sort of gate so that you don't go into reverse by mistake.
Huh? How could you mistakenly go into reverse when attempting to go into 5th in the 5MT?

I don't get any grinding from mine.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Huh? How could you mistakenly go into reverse when attempting to go into 5th in the 5MT?.
I guess weirder things have happened?...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
hmm....i installed my kartboy ss several months ago and haven't had any issues at all. no noise at all and i love it. maybe get a second (third) opinion from another shop. you gotta be missing something...

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
So I tried that, and still heard the noise (which I can describe better as a sort of grinding not rattling).

I then took it too the dealer to let a tech drive it. He said that it seemed normal. So I don't know if i'm going insane or not. After doing some more extensive research on the issue, I read a lot of other threads about people having similar issues in 5th gear. Some say it is the syncros not being fast enough when switching from 4th to 5th. I've tested out the gear with the car off, and it goes in smoothly. The tech said that when your driving, 5th is a little harder to get into because it needs to pass through some sort of gate so that you don't go into reverse by mistake.

Does anyone else here hear a light grinding noise when going into 5th gear at 3.5k rpms and up?
Did the noise start just after putting the TiC pivot bushings in?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the noise start just after putting the TiC pivot bushings in?
I don't think it did. I did the bushing and SS at the same time. I just noticed this recently when all is quite in my car. I can even feel it a bit in my hand when shifting into 5th. I'm going crazy trying to see if this is normal or not, which i don't think it is. I'm gonna try to go to our local subaru meet next Wed and see if one of teh guys there can drive my car or let me drive theirs to see if it does it.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I take more of the diagnostic approach with this stuff. I'd take the pivot bushings off, since its really easy to do, and test drive it to see if the sound goes away.

Cause...effect.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I take more of the diagnostic approach with this stuff. I'd take the pivot bushings off, since its really easy to do, and test drive it to see if the sound goes away.

Cause...effect.
First off lol.

Second off, I didn't think about that. There could be some minimal vibration coming from the shifter link shaft which is causing the Pivot bushing to vibrate. It is worth a shot. I will give it a try and let you guys know. Thanks Lokey.

Btw how do I take the shift knob off the shifter boot. Everytime I take off the center console it looks like it is attached somehow and I don't want to tear the bag

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
No problem, bro. Just pull it off at an angle. It's a rubber sleeve; you won't break anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts