Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a new clutch put in my 2013 wrx. When the mechanic dropped the transmission he said some oil came out so he filled it back up. Charged me $14 for "gear oil". Pick it up and I have a 2 hour trip in to Jersey. On the way down the car off out of 5th gear. Long story short, transmission gets taken apart and 5th gear is black and melted. Ive talked to two transmission shops and they say there wasnt enough oil in the transmission. Now the Mechanic doesnt want to admit to anything. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
So I had a new clutch put in my 2013 wrx. When the mechanic dropped the transmission he said some oil came out so he filled it back up. Charged me $14 for "gear oil". Pick it up and I have a 2 hour trip in to Jersey. On the way down the car off out of 5th gear. Long story short, transmission gets taken apart and 5th gear is black and melted. Ive talked to two transmission shops and they say there wasnt enough oil in the transmission. Now the Mechanic doesnt want to admit to anything. What do you think?
I think you need a new transmission. As far as getting anything out of the other shop, good luck. many have tried and few have succeeded in an endeavor like that. It really sucks and I do feel your pain.

My opinion on that 5th gear says there was more than a few hundred miles on it to cause that. I would assume that the fluid that he said leaked out was from an existing leak you didn't catch and the failure just happened to come after the new clutch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts