Subaru WRX Forum banner

$5 and 5 minutes to a better running car :)

112K views 133 replies 63 participants last post by  FireB 
#1 ·
I know it's been covered some time before, but a nice little reminder for those that haven't seen it- clean your MAF sensor- it's easy and cheap :)

The MAF is simply unplugged and then two phillips head screws (use a rather fine phillip head so you don't round the screws) and it's it out.

I use CRC MAF cleaner- $5 a can and specifically made to clean MAF's

Before and after pics of the MAF- first one it's black and kind of sooty looking, the second you can see the wires cleaned and the almost amber color of the "bulb". Simply give it several sprays from several different angles- let it dry good and put it back in.

This is a good time to throw a new filter in as well :)

See less See more
#10 ·
I do this w/ every air filter change ~ 15,000 miles. It does run better after cleaning- if it's not dirty it probably won't :)

If you happen to run a oiled filter- K&N, ITG etc- you absolutely need to be cleaning the MAF regularly- less so w/ a paper filter.

#11 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
I do this w/ every air filter change ~ 15,000 miles. It does run better after cleaning- if it's not dirty it probably won't :)

If you happen to run a oiled filter- K&N, ITG etc- you absolutely need to be cleaning the MAF regularly- less so w/ a paper filter.
Yeh the oiled filters can harm the MAF sensor. Not worth it imo.

#12 ·
yeah, i used to clean my maf sensor constantly cuz i ran a K&N... i've since switched to a blitz sus filter, so i'll be good for a while. i've cleaned it with brake cleaner and with alcohol in a baggy... people say "brake cleaner is bad" so i tried the alcohol baggy, which left it wet far too long. im sure that stuff is similar to brake cleaner in that its quick drying.

#13 ·
and just so those reading this arent misled, that bulb in the photos is not the MAF sensor, it is the intake air temp sensor. the MAF sensor is inside the plastic tube and is very fragile... you should not spray it directly with the cleaner, which is why most prefer to shake it up in a plastic bag and try to clean it that way. i know some use a q-tip and gently wipe down the wires but i hear that is risky as well.
but thanks for letting me know a specific maf cleaner exists, for $5 i'd rather use that then brake cleaner.
bryan

#14 ·
Wrinkleboi said:
and just so those reading this arent misled, that bulb in the photos is not the MAF sensor, it is the intake air temp sensor.
true...

#19 ·
ChaosStarter said:
I've used brake clean on hundreds of cars including my own. As long as it's non-cloranated (sp?), you shouldn't have a problem. And don't hold it 3" from the nozzle.
you know, thats all i find in auto supply stores anyways... brake cleaner is great stuff... i love brake cleaner! :thumbup:

im gonna go give this maf cleaner stuff a try though... especially since my car had a wacky boost behavior recently.

#21 ·
i just bought that MAF cleaner and cleaned my air hog, needless to say the air filter was DIRTY! and the maf sensor was covered in black sludge and soot, i was amazed at how much junk was there! ive already cleaned and re installed the MAF, just waiting for the filter to dry to re-install that to see how much better it runs now.. it never really felt like it was a step slower or anything, but i guess ill find out soon

#22 ·
Big Sky WRX said:

Thanks. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.