ClubWRX Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,328 Posts
Find the cover for the air cleaner. As you are facing the nose of the car, it will be a black squarish object on the left. This is attached to a tube that goes to the center from the left. Halfway along that tube, with a harness facing forward, there is a small black object with two philips head screws. That is the MAF.

Disconnect the harness. Carefully unscrew and remove the MAF, it is sealed with an o-ring. Clean as stated here, and reverse the steps.

If you have a CEL, you may as well disconnect the battery before removing the harness, as this is safe anyway and it clears the CEL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
flatspot

Hi Guys

Clive from Johannesburg South Africa here...

New to the Subaru world...I got a 2006 WRX for about 3 months now...

My car has a flatspot (sort of stutters) at 2500rpm in all gears. Could this be caused by a dirty MAF sensor?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is anyone resetting the ECM when they do this? The MAF is a major sensor and effects the A/F ratio alot so with a different reading I think it would be best to let the ECM relearn everything with the new readings. A dirty sensor will make the engine run richer, not as much air getting to the sensor elements, so I think it would be a good idea to have it all reset to allow the ECM to start fresh.

·
28,328 Posts
I don't unless there was a CEL due to the MAF, and I do so only to save time staring at the light, not for learning purposes.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
IF the AM's are low then a re-set could speed up the process (or it could actually lower the AM from where it's at), when I had my EcuTek Delta Dash I knew exactly what the AM was and would base the need of a re-set on it; the ecu will learn regardless- just may take a little longer

·
Registered
197 Posts
7.99 in Wilmington nc. My car has 140,000 miles on it and when I removed the MAF sensor I could tell right away that it was black. A few sprays and it was squeaky clean! Took it for a drive and my car runs way better. Completely god rid of the studdering after gear changes.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Wait...big sky your in miles? Seriously....that's my home town. Every time I'm back I hear,"its the m&h guy" from seriously a long time ago. I'll wave at ya on my way through tomorrow! After I clean my maf sensor and clean up my car. Its so muddy up here in Sidney!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Well....I'm not sure what helped more, a few hours with yellow wax and a buffer or the clean maf. But Damn. 302.6 miles from fill up to hotel in Billings with the needle stuck on a quarter tank. Interested to see what the gas receipt says tomorrow. We stopped to run our dogs by the hospital and I waved in your general direction. I think. Unless that was you going east by glendive.....

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ya true. Well heck...the hole trip is downhill on the way back Haha. I'll get some numbers posted up for before and after. I was only making twenty two interstate before

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
OK first tank after clean maf and ECU reset. 304.4 miles at 12.98 gallons. Comes out to a nice 23.4 mpg. Not to bad considering I just reset the computer, loaded the fam and hit the road. That said I have covered almost everything from slow in town to wot pulls to 4500ish rpm launching through traffic getting out of billings and passing cars on the two lane highways. Not to bad at all. Hoping the computer will tune up a bit more on the way home and break into the 24s.

Not to jack my own thread but my gas gauge doesn't reflect the numbers I got. Seems a bit top heavy... at 150 I was at three quarters full and at 300 I was 13 gallons empty. That's really empty for not showing a low fuel light!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the subaru scene and used to tune a Sentra Spec-V. One time it was suggested that I clean my MAF by spraying the cleaner on it so I did. Well it really screwed me over because I had to pay the dealership 300$ to do an "idle re-learn" on my computer. Apparently this isn't a problem for WRX's? Why not?

·
UnBanned
17,654 Posts
I'm new to the subaru scene and used to tune a Sentra Spec-V. One time it was suggested that I clean my MAF by spraying the cleaner on it so I did. Well it really screwed me over because I had to pay the dealership 300$ to do an "idle re-learn" on my computer. Apparently this isn't a problem for WRX's? Why not?
When you clean the MAF on a Subaru, all you have to do is unplug the battery for a few minutes to let the ECU reset. Then when you plug it in, the ECU goes to a very safe tune, and then slowly becomes more aggressive. It basically starts over from scratch and learns things all over again. Your sentra should have been the same way... That's how almost all MAF based cars are. I get the feeling that the mechanic / dealership screwed you on that.

·
28,328 Posts
If I'm honest, I don't reset the ECU when I clean the MAF. I just drive away, no problems.

·
UnBanned
17,654 Posts
If I'm honest, I don't reset the ECU when I clean the MAF. I just drive away, no problems.
You'll probably have a temporary rich condition... but meh... probably doesn't affect anything, and resolves super quick. Technically you're supposed to reset it though.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts