ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
i just bought that MAF cleaner and cleaned my air hog, needless to say the air filter was DIRTY! and the maf sensor was covered in black sludge and soot, i was amazed at how much junk was there! ive already cleaned and re installed the MAF, just waiting for the filter to dry to re-install that to see how much better it runs now.. it never really felt like it was a step slower or anything, but i guess ill find out soon

·
Super Moderator
33,815 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
I do this w/ every air filter change ~ 15,000 miles. It does run better after cleaning- if it's not dirty it probably won't :)

If you happen to run a oiled filter- K&N, ITG etc- you absolutely need to be cleaning the MAF regularly- less so w/ a paper filter.
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
So you guys recommend taking the MAF off of the air box, disconnecting the wire connector...and then placing it in a bag of MAF cleaner. Shake it around and then let the MAF dry?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Is there anything sensitive inside the black covering that shouldn't be wet? Drenching the whole thing is scaring me a little, but if everyone else is doing it with success...I guess I'll do it too. :)
hellafastWRX said:
Yup, thats all it takes.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Be careful on the shaking part- these are very thin wires.

I just used the plastic nozzle that came w/ CRC and give them a couple of gentle shots into the tube- let it dry and put it back

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
prspect06 said:
Is there anything sensitive inside the black covering that shouldn't be wet? Drenching the whole thing is scaring me a little, but if everyone else is doing it with success...I guess I'll do it too. :)

I heard not to touch the MAF sensor with your bare skin. That can damage it. It looks like a little lightbulb inside a plastic circle.

·
Registered
750 Posts
hellafastWRX said:
I heard not to touch the MAF sensor with your bare skin. That can damage it. It looks like a little lightbulb inside a plastic circle.

Wait, I thought the easily visible bulb is the "air temp sensor" and the thin filaments inside the black tube is the MAF sensor.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
prspect06 said:
Wait, I thought the easily visible bulb is the "air temp sensor" and the thin filaments inside the black tube is the MAF sensor.
you are correct...hellafast is wrong...

·
Registered
707 Posts
i just bought this today..im gonna try it right now..ive been using a perrin drop in since i got my car..and its got 10k on it now..

those perrin filters are soaked in oil...im kinda regretting the purchace...and i might put back the stock filter after i clean the MAF!

Thanks Big Sky WRX for the product rec.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's the tempertature sensor that I have pictured- the MAF is indeed in the tube- you need to shine a flashlight down the tube to see the wires clearly.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
ok so i'm trying to clean this now with brakleen... i have the maf soaking in a pool of it right now... i can tell that it is breaking down some of the dirt by the color of the fluid, but there is still plenty of gunk on the IAT bulb, indicating that the MAF wires are probably not totallly clean either.
i admit, this is my first MAF cleaning in 50k miles, but how easily should the brake cleaner break the dirt free and can we expect a perfectly clean MAF sensor when all is said and done?
bryan

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think the temp sensor is more likely to get dirty than the MAF wires- they are in the direct line of fire- if the temp sensor is clean- the MAF wires certainly should be.

My temp sensor was more notceably dirty than the actual MAF wires.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
I think the temp sensor is more likely to get dirty than the MAF wires- they are in the direct line of fire- if the temp sensor is clean- the MAF wires certainly should be.

My temp sensor was more notceably dirty than the actual MAF wires.
^ I agree, a dirty temp sensor is moreso what causes poor running as compared to a clean one...the temp probe is one of the main things that control timing advance....

·
Registered
178 Posts
No luck finding this product at the local auto parts stores here in MD. Hardly anyone has ever heard of it either! (nor had I until this thread, but there are actually a few articles written about cleaning the MAF sensor and the CRC cleaner if you google). I had to convince this one lady to even go into her computer to search for it. The best thing I have found is to order online at: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?19596 but shipping is literally as much as the $6.99 product price. I'll order online here if I have to.

Where have you guys been purchasing the CRC MAF cleaner?

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
HudsonWRX said:
No luck finding this product at the local auto parts stores here in MD. Hardly anyone has ever heard of it either! (nor had I until this thread, but there are actually a few articles written about cleaning the MAF sensor and the CRC cleaner if you google). I had to convince this one lady to even go into her computer to search for it. The best thing I have found is to order online at: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?19596 but shipping is literally as much as the $6.99 product price. I'll order online here if I have to.

Where have you guys been purchasing the CRC MAF cleaner?

Just buy Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner. Its the same stuff and you can buy it at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
178 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
Just buy Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner. Its the same stuff and you can buy it at any auto parts store.
It seems like brake cleaner is a bit harsh for the MAF sensor. Is non-chlorinated that much less harsh on the MAF sensor parts. I haven't really read about what the CRC cleaner really contains vs. the brake cleaners.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts