ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm not exactly sure. There was an old TV show called Hawaii Five-O, I believe it was about Hawaiian cops or something. I don't know if the name of that show was the start of the phrase, or a result of it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hawaii Five-O could be one origin. I also thought that it was because the cops used to drive the old fox-body Stangs with the big 5.0 badge on the side.

·
Registered
108 Posts
yup, it comes from the Mustang 5.0 liter engine used in their cars (circa 1985).

the TV show, Hawaii 5-0, got it's name because Hawaii was the fiftieth state to join the union.

trip.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Actually I'm pretty sure it is from Hawaii Five-O. Ive never heard the Mustang theory. The word "Cop" comes from English Bobbies because they wore Copper Badges :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i'm from the 5-0 state. Most of the cops around there used to drive 5.0 mustangs subsidized vehicles. We called them 5 0's a lot and I guess from the Hawaii 5 0 show it caught on. I dunno?

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,400 Posts
I too, thought that the "5-0" deal came from the early rappers out of California. At the time, Cali was running the Fox Body Stangs for cop cars. They were quite proud of them as they were some of the quickest cop cars around. Then some of the Southern Cal gangsta' and wrapper types coined the phrase that later cought on to normal scociety. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Wannabe said:
Then some of the Southern Cal gangsta' and wrapper types coined the phrase that later cought on to normal scociety. I could be wrong.

Would that be ghetto type gansta's that enjoy the ancient art of origami:confused1 ;)

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,400 Posts
No, NO, NO!
That is the gansta's that are now out of jobs and wrap Christmas presents at K-Mart for extra "ammo cash."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts