ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a WRX 2 weeks ago, sitting in traffic last week and came to a stop, some ass wasn't paying attention and slams into a car that slams into me then throws me into a car in front of me. No real damage other than the front and rear bumper needed to be replaced, mostly paint damage. Anyway after the cops show up and write up everything I go to continue the rest of the way to work, whenever I shift into 4th gear (while moving) it makes this whiny, grinding noise, I hear it start to fade as I decelerate.....

I only hear the noise when I shift from 3rd to 4th and I push the shifter all the way back to the stopping point. Once I let up the noise goes away but if you pull on the shifter while it's in 4th slightly you can hear the noise again.

It sounds like it's coming from the shifter itself, so I'm not sure if it's a tranny issue or something else, frankly I haven't had the car long enough to really know anything about it. Anyone have any ideas what it could be or what to look for?

*Edit*
Added Clip: wrx_trans_whine.wmv

(listen carefully when I shift into 4th)

·
Banned
0 Posts
Gremlins....

No i don't know. :-/ sorry to hear about the accident though.

Were you in gear when you got hit? in neutral?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gremlins....

No i don't know. :-/ sorry to hear about the accident though.

Were you in gear when you got hit? in neutral?
I don't recall exactly but I was stopped completely so if the shifter wasn't in neutral I was sitting there with my foot on the clutch pedal disengaging the clutch. I definitely know I didn't stall out after the hit...

·
Banned
0 Posts
well i'm just thinking maybe your foot slipped off the clutch a bit and it jarred a synchro or something. Just reaching here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea that's possible, I could of been in 4th too when it happened because I was on an express way and the stop was sudden, I had to slam on my breaks to stop myself from hitting the guy in front of me.

What are we looking at if I "jarred a synchro" as you put it? tranny rebuild? when shifting everything feels fine the car shifts through the gears like it should...

I wonder if the insurance company would cover something like that since it was a result of the accident.

·
Banned
0 Posts
yea that's possible, I could of been in 4th too when it happened because I was on an express way and the stop was sudden, I had to slam on my breaks to stop myself from hitting the guy in front of me.

What are we looking at if I "jarred a synchro" as you put it? tranny rebuild? when shifting everything feels fine the car shifts through the gears like it should...

I wonder if the insurance company would cover something like that since it was a result of the accident.
well you said it only makes the noise when you shift into 4th and accelerate? if you're driving steady it doesn't make any noise? so might be a bad synchro... maybe a bearing... It doesn't sound like the gear itself... i dunno. i'm no expert.

Anything going bad in the transmission is bad... Just taking it out and opening it up is a lot of labor fees... you probably could make the argument it was a result of the accident. I don't know though.

Just throwing stuff out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually it makes the noise when I shift into 4th and hit the shifter stop...It's hard to explain heh. You know how your shifter will only allow you to push it so far into gear? Well when you hit that stop is when I hear the whine..... and only when I'm moving, not just during acceleration. If I'm parked and I shift it into 4th and keep the clutch depressed I don't hear it. If I shift it into 4th remove my hand from the shifter and drive normally I don't hear it (neither acceleration or deceleration). Its just when I put pressure on the shifter handle in 4th. When I get the car back from the body shop I can take a video that will allow you to see and hear what I'm describing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
finally got the car back

Just picked up the car from the body shop today...... I went right out and took a small video (3mb) of the noise. Listen carefully when you see me shift into 4th:

wrx_trans_whine.wmv

·
Banned
0 Posts
I hear what you mean... And i have no idea... at this point gremlins is the best answer I can give :-/

does your car drive any different?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it feels fine, shifts fine...... heh I wanted to take it to the race track thurs. to get a time, I guess I won't be doing that now =\

·
Registered
656 Posts
meh, I'd take it to a subaru dealer and see if a tech can take a ride for a couple mins (they shouldn't charge you) and see what his opinion is, if they want you to bring it in then contact your insurance ASAP and let them know what is going on, hopefully you didn't already settle with insurance if there is a problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts