Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aftr i did a quick run with my buddy, i was drivin home. as i was drivin, i went into 4th gear and it grinded a little. it doesnt do it all the time but it happens at like random moments. and it only happens in 4th. any1 no wats wrong?

·
Registered
21 Posts
aftr i did a quick run with my buddy, i was drivin home. as i was drivin, i went into 4th gear and it grinded a little. it doesnt do it all the time but it happens at like random moments. and it only happens in 4th. any1 no wats wrong?
I've got an '02 and the exact same thing happens to me occasionally. I really couldn't account for any reason other than just hand-foot coordination, clutch before shift but you already knew that. But I could be wrong, I never used to have that problem but as the miles piled on it started to do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got an '02 and the exact same thing happens to me occasionally. I really couldn't account for any reason other than just hand-foot coordination, clutch before shift but you already knew that. But I could be wrong, I never used to have that problem but as the miles piled on it started to do it.
but i push the clutch all the way. u think i need a new gear

·
Registered
21 Posts
but i push the clutch all the way. u think i need a new gear
As I've read around I found that our snycro is weak for 4th gear. This might account for our problems. As far as getting a new synchro is concerned, I wouldn't get too concerned about it just yet. You might want to try changing you gear oil to a brand like Red Line. As far as viscocity is concerned, I'm not 100% sure on that but as a very general rule something like 75W-90 would work fine depending on your specific driving conditions, mods etc. As far as pushing the clutch all the way is concerned, that's fine but I've found it's not a matter of how far you push the clutch, it's about timing. Since this has started I've been more aware to allow more time for the tranny to slow down (hold the clutch down for a slightly longer time period) and since I've been doing that I've not had a grinding problem. The gear oil swap will help for sure but if it get's worse by any means such as it consistantly grinding during downshifts and upshifts at any rate of shifting, then consider a rebuild. I'm far from an expert so you might want to ask around some more.
Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I've read around I found that our snycro is weak for 4th gear. This might account for our problems. As far as getting a new synchro is concerned, I wouldn't get too concerned about it just yet. You might want to try changing you gear oil to a brand like Red Line. As far as viscocity is concerned, I'm not 100% sure on that but as a very general rule something like 75W-90 would work fine depending on your specific driving conditions, mods etc. As far as pushing the clutch all the way is concerned, that's fine but I've found it's not a matter of how far you push the clutch, it's about timing. Since this has started I've been more aware to allow more time for the tranny to slow down (hold the clutch down for a slightly longer time period) and since I've been doing that I've not had a grinding problem. The gear oil swap will help for sure but if it get's worse by any means such as it consistantly grinding during downshifts and upshifts at any rate of shifting, then consider a rebuild. I'm far from an expert so you might want to ask around some more.
Hope this helps some.
Thanx a lot bro

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 3rd and 4th gear grind, my mechanic friends say its the synchro, which means i need to find someone who can re-build the transmission. Im not going to worry about it until it breaks, i just bought the car by the way and im pissed. It's a 2002 wrx. Its at random, right when i take my foot off the gas to change gears, and when i put my foot on the clutch it goes away. Anyway i suggest you look at some of the stickies in the forum they have 17 pages of this stuff. I dont know what to do...on an estimate its probably gonna cost 1000$-2000$.:eek:

im a noob

·
Registered
11 Posts
:rotfl:OP its funny that you mentioned this because I have been doing a hell of a lot of searching because I have a 4th gear grind as of late. Mine occured after doing a fluid change in my trans though. I went from oem fluid to Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 and 4th started to grind on up/down shifts. So I switched back to oem Valvoline fluid(conventional) and now it only grinds on down shifts from 5th to 4th. But only on the highwway. Sometimes traffic will slow down on the eway and you have to down shift. On normal city driving that downshift will not grind. I dont get it eather. So my plan as of right now is to change the fluid again to subaru Extra S, and hopefully that will fix it.

Hope this helps some.

1. Do not change your fluid to Redline. Its no good
2. You always want to push the clutch in all the way, not doinf so WILL eventully cause syncros to fail
3. Gettin a new syncro will run about $6-700. And while you at it, may as well as get 3and 4 syncros done as well.

Also to see if there is any real syncro wear, when you change your tranny fluid(this will take time/sucks) but drain it into your drain pan and before you go to get rid of it/how ever you get rid of it re-drain it through a coffee filter and see if you get any non metalic pieces. If you do that is your syncro, they are made of brass. I would look on nasioc and search Extra S gear oil. That is what I am going to use. Hope this helps
Ryan

·
Registered
18 Posts
The problem is that the more you grind, the possibility increases for your gears to get more f'ed up. That would be an even more expensive repair.
Yeah i know...sucks. But im noticing as im getting better at driving, its only the 4th gear. i still dont have any metal in my trans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had the same problem with my 08 WRX. It's still under warranty and the dealership took a look at it and drove it around for a bit. They said nothing was wrong with it? It does as described...4th gear only...and does it at random times. I've heard of the transmission ****tail? Is this to correct that problem or is that for something else? What can I do to fix this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very common prob on these trans with the synchro set up. Mine did the same but apparently the correct gear lube will cure this problem. I've heard good things about Redline 75-90 shockproof heavy oil.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had the same problem with Redline MT-90 in my car. So I did a lot more research and found two options. Subaru ExtraS and JR's mix* which is 2 quarts of Redline's lightweight Shockproof and 1.7 quarts of Redline's 75W90NS. I live close to a speed shop that stocks Redline fluids and since the ExtraS was only available in 5 gallon containers, I went with the Redline formula. I no longer have any grinding issues when I shift quickly into 4th. Plus the trans shifts a LOT nicer when it's cold out. I keep track of my mileage and did not notice a hit.

1. Do not change your fluid to Redline. Its no good
Since redline makes different fluids for different applications, as I found out the hard way, I needed to the right stuff for the right job. I wasn't happy with what I had before and after switching, am Very happy.

*I'm not sure if JR came up with that mixture. He's the one that introduced it to me so that's why I called it JR's mix.

G

·
I've had the same problem on my '05 WRX, and I have Redline 75W-90 and had the problem both before the Redline and after. I don't know what the deal is, but I'm hoping maybe since I'm still under warranty that Subaru will give me a brand new car, or at least a fixed syncro or two ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd say, go w/the mix I use, but since your still under warranty, if something were to go wrong, they might not cover you. I personally thought my syncros were shot until I switched gear oil and it shifted like it was (almost) new again. You could try Extra S or, what Rallispec likes to use is Motul gear 300. Or your syncros could be fried... Have Subaru look at it and see what they'll do for you. If they don't know and it'll cost you an arm and a leg for a trans rebuild, you could give the other gear oil a shot.

G

·
I'd say, go w/the mix I use, but since your still under warranty, if something were to go wrong, they might not cover you. I personally thought my syncros were shot until I switched gear oil and it shifted like it was (almost) new again. You could try Extra S or, what Rallispec likes to use is Motul gear 300. Or your syncros could be fried... Have Subaru look at it and see what they'll do for you. If they don't know and it'll cost you an arm and a leg for a trans rebuild, you could give the other gear oil a shot.
Oh yea, I'm gonna fight them to the bone if it comes down to that... haha ok jk I know they're probably going to blame it on the Cobb ss and shifter bushings I just recently put in...I shouldn't have done that....ugh but I was having this problem well before the ss and bushings

·
Registered
286 Posts
I know they're probably going to blame it on the Cobb ss and shifter bushings I just recently put in...
did you take it to the dealer already? If not, swap it out with the stock unit. They won't know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts