Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4th & 5th "too tall a gear" DEBATE (AKA WRX has no top end argument)I'm calling BS!

OK, frankly im tired of people downing the WRX's top end. Some people think that is slower than a civic EX. Yes the car has a tall 4th gear. That would be a huge deal IF THE CARS POWERBAND STARTED AT 5500 RPMS LIKE A FRIGGEN VTEC ENGINE DOES! pheeew....

The WRX (stock) reaches max torque at 4000 RPMS! MAX power at 6200. Now if say a type R had as tall a gear, max power at around 7800-8000 RPMS, then of course when this type R shifts into fourth at 4000 rpms (not in vtec, teh slow) it would pull like a slow ass donkey. But! When I shift to fourth, at say 4K, the car pulls damn strong!

Now im not saying better gearing would make the car faster at high speeds, cause it would, because it get to the max hp at 6200 sooner. But I think people make it a much bigger deal than it is, considering the power curve on this car compared to a NA high banging fours, which the WRX is not.

Bring on the flames! :D

·
1,911 Posts
I don't think it's the gearing that is the problem (and yes I do think stock, the car is slow as a snail). It's the tiny turbo sizing that is maxed out by 5000 RPM that's the problem. With an upgraded turbo top end power/highway power improves exponentially. I've driven upgraded cars with stock turbo and I sat there winding out 4th gear waiting for boost to hit. Apparently it had been hitting the whole time, I just didn't notice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
God said:
I don't think it's the gearing that is the problem (and yes I do think stock, the car is slow as a snail). It's the tiny turbo sizing that is maxed out by 5000 RPM that's the problem. With an upgraded turbo top end power/highway power improves exponentially. I've driven upgraded cars with stock turbo and I sat there winding out 4th gear waiting for boost to hit. Apparently it had been hitting the whole time, I just didn't notice.
God I can't argue with the your point about the stock turbo dying at High RPMS. especailly compared to an aftermarket one. My point was that people were making "gearing" to be such a big deal on a car, whose power curve begins pretty early on the rpm (3k for me) band. I do not have a 390 hp rex, just a MBC set at 16psi in 4th, and the car pulls pretty damn strong.
An RSX S has way "better" gearing than my car. However, with my boost set to 16 psi in fourth I would have no trouble with it. (I know from experience)--yet people continue to doubt me!

·
2,210 Posts
"Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man!" - The Dude

Seriously, I guess this is a pretty subjective thing. For me, the WRX is painfully overgeared in 4th and 5th. I commute 50 miles to work, over half of which is on the freeway driven at 80mph. However, I barely use 5th gear. And yes, I get decent gas mileage - 300+ miles per tank.

If you do the math, you will find that the WRX 5th gear ratio equates to a 180mph redline (137mph redline in 4th). This is a little too tall for my taste. I would be happy with a cruise of 3500rpm at 80mph, which would be a 5th gear ratio of 0.83 and a redline top speed of 160mph. And if 4th gear was a 1:1 ratio that would give a redline speed of 132mph. There's just no need to have an overdriven 4th gear.

When I replace my gears with a stronger aftermarket synchro set, I'll definitely be looking for a slightly lower 4th, and much lower 5th. Actually, the throw from 1st to 2nd is a little too long, so closer ratios all 'round would be good. ;)

-Pace

·
2,210 Posts
Dan is right about the turbo sizing too. With the TD04, the fun gears were 2nd and 3rd. The VF30 however makes 4th the 'grin gear'. I still need closer ratios though.

I think those people involved in autox or rallyx will also disagree with you on the gear ratios, Electron.

-Pace

·
Registered
679 Posts
pace said:
"Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man!" - The Dude

Seriously, I guess this is a pretty subjective thing. For me, the WRX is painfully overgeared in 4th and 5th. I commute 50 miles to work, over half of which is on the freeway driven at 80mph. However, I barely use 5th gear. And yes, I get decent gas mileage - 300+ miles per tank.

If you do the math, you will find that the WRX 5th gear ratio equates to a 180mph redline (137mph redline in 4th). This is a little too tall for my taste. I would be happy with a cruise of 3500rpm at 80mph, which would be a 5th gear ratio of 0.83 and a redline top speed of 160mph. And if 4th gear was a 1:1 ratio that would give a redline speed of 132mph. There's just no need to have an overdriven 4th gear.

When I replace my gears with a stronger aftermarket synchro set, I'll definitely be looking for a slightly lower 4th, and much lower 5th. Actually, the throw from 1st to 2nd is a little too long, so closer ratios all 'round would be good. ;)

-Pace
totally agree. Once some cheap gears come out, I'm all over it.
the long 4th totally slows your mph down on the 1320.

Also, peak power is at 5500, not 6200 on most of the cars I've seen.

I really wish we had a all shorter gears. The only one I'd keep would be 1st gear.

damn you Subaru 3psd :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts