ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wan't to buy a subaru but it will be a family car so my mom need an automatic, how does it compare to a acura tl automatic 0-60 and quarter mile times also vs a is300 automatic????

Also how much would it cost in upgrades to brind my 0-60 times to around 5.7 secs?

·
Registered
153 Posts
you can check out car-videos.com they have a lot of info on performance times, they dont have info on a 2004 tl, but they have info on a 2003 type s auto..

http://car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=194&id2=0

heres the wrx auto...

http://car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=269&id2=0

heres the is..

http://car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=36&id2=0

looks like the tl is a lil faster than the wrx, and the is comes in third, but these are subjective of course. to get your times under 6, you should get a tranny cooler, about 50 bucks, so not bad at all, and ppl might say a uppipe and down pipe, or maybe cobb AP, im not to sure. GL with what you get.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The TL should have the better 0-60 times. Sorry to say, the 4eat wrx in stock form is just too slow mainly because of the turbo lag and our inability to launch. The is300 is almost identical, performance wise, with the 4eat wrx.

To get a 4eat to go 0-60 in 5.7 sec, you will need at least an uppipe, turboback, boost controller and you will have to know how to properly brake torque your car. Depending on which brand you choose, the uppipe and turboback should cost you anywhere from $650-900. The boost controller should run you about $60 if you go with an MBC. If you go with an EBC, it will cost you around $400.

Since this is going to be a family car, i would just go with the TL. Has decent power and plenty of room for everybody.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Type S also what if the tl just floors it at the line and if I were to rev it up to 2500 rpm wile pressing the brake will I take him or will it catch up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
liquidx said:
Type S also what if the tl just floors it at the line and if I were to rev it up to 2500 rpm wile pressing the brake will I take him or will it catch up.
on a stock WRX, it wont really let you get up to 2500 rpms on the launch, so you will need a tranny cooler, they are not expensive, max 50 bucks for a real good one, and then you can launch a lot better, near 3000 i believe.

the 04 doesnt have a type s, i just referenced the 02 type s beause that website doesnt have info on any 03,04's.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I wouldn't suggest getting the WRX if your mom plans on driving it. BUT, if it's the car that you really really want, there are some mods that you can throw on without her ever knowing.

I doubt you'll be dragracing it on a daily or weekly basis, so I wouldn't worry about getting a high stall torque converter.

1st and foremost you should already have a boost gauge. If you don't have one and plan on modding the car, get one.

the best bang for buck mod you can get is a reflash, or some other form of engine management. and mom would have no way of finding that. And if you plan on raising the boost pressure, you'll want to eliminate the 1st cat (located in the uppipe). You can gut out the cat for the stock appearance, or just get an aftermarket one since you really can't see it in the engine bay. These two alone would net you some decent gains.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She wont care if I upgrade it, we are going to get rid of our van for it and then after a few months we will buy a 2nd car so she can drive so the wrx will be for me and my dad, the reason im asking about the tl is cuz my friend is buying a acura tl 2005 I think and I dont want him to beat me I just wont race him untill I get upgrades.

·
Registered
153 Posts
liquidx said:
She wont care if I upgrade it, we are going to get rid of our van for it and then after a few months we will buy a 2nd car so she can drive so the wrx will be for me and my dad, the reason im asking about the tl is cuz my friend is buying a acura tl 2005 I think and I dont want him to beat me I just wont race him untill I get upgrades.
stock for stock, a TL will own a auto wrx anyday, in any speed comparison really. auto wrxs dont have much whp, i think close to 160... and a tl has 270 at the crank, and well over 200 whp. is he getting a 6 spd, or auto?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts