Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for an STI or EVO. I have not seen many threads on this topic. I am hoping some of you lucky STI owners can assist me....

I am looking to mod whatever car I get to roughly 450 awhp in the distant future...what would be the cost to get an STI to that level?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
i dunno how much it'll cost but i read in an article that the EVO sounds (and might actually be) like its being pushed within an inch of its life...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Dan.... I know you have been playing mad scientist over there at the shop. I was thinking that the 35R kit would likely put down 450awhp.... maybe more....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
You guys are sick ! 450 AWHP.........Very nice indeed.....can't wait to see the final results and the 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile times this can produce.....any rough guesses ??? I assume that a 450 AWHP will take a 911 turbo from a start and any rolling speed ....yes yes yes I know two totally different cars and I would take the 911 T any day but for raw straight line speed ?

Cheers,
Ray
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,596 Posts
What do you mean by the Evo is being pushed to it's last limits? is it tapped out as far as the aftermaket is concerned? I've seen the Vishnu Evo on Car and Driver and they said it was a dream to drive...I even like the intercooler coming through the hood...But I've been scared from Mitsu's ever since the Talons and Eclipse...I guess if you make one bad turbo car...it's hard to fix the mind set people get in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
In a mag. article, they test drove the EVO VIII & the STi and said that the EVO VIII sounded like it was being pushed to the limit, and maybe its bcuz the turbo's at 19PSi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great! It seems that both cars are have great mod potential. I was seeing posts that the new 2.5 engine would be hard to mod since it was not as strong as the 2.0. I love the look of the STI, but I may need the room of the EVO more. I will go soon to put in the baby seat in each....

What mods would take me to 450 awhp?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Well, from what I have read, the 2.5L STi motor is plenty strong. It has forged internals (crank, pistons, rods). Sounds like it will take more power to me than the 2.0L.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
643 Posts
Well, from what I have read, the 2.5L STi motor is plenty strong. It has forged internals (crank, pistons, rods). Sounds like it will take more power to me than the 2.0L.

I disagree, well you should be able to make over the 400HP mark. No body knows the strength of the new crank or rods. The pistons are cast, just like the evos are but they are VERY strong in the new way of making them, much stronger then say a Honda's. No car manufacturors use true forged pistons as they need to be warmed up to expand inside the engine, and they SLAP, not to say they you guys can't take that, but the normal daily driver can't


STroking allows more low end torque, but believe it or not will limit top end HP. Modded Evos run 8500RPMS on a reflash, can and have make 500WHP on stock internals.

If the STI internals are as strong as they should be, 450WHP will be quite attainable, just immagne the toque though, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
I guess Porsche stopped making cars. 911s since 1974 has forged pistons. MB uses them in their S55 AMG, even Ford uses them in their Lightning. Maybe these aren't "true forged" pistons.

You do know that on Hondas, it is the rings that let go first. Then the rods. Then the pistons.

I have forged pistons in my Civic, and as a daily driver it is fine. Depending on how the motor is built, you *may* get some slap.



TSi AWD said:
I disagree, well you should be able to make over the 400HP mark. No body knows the strength of the new crank or rods. The pistons are cast, just like the evos are but they are VERY strong in the new way of making them, much stronger then say a Honda's. No car manufacturors use true forged pistons as they need to be warmed up to expand inside the engine, and they SLAP, not to say they you guys can't take that, but the normal daily driver can't


STroking allows more low end torque, but believe it or not will limit top end HP. Modded Evos run 8500RPMS on a reflash, can and have make 500WHP on stock internals.

If the STI internals are as strong as they should be, 450WHP will be quite attainable, just immagne the toque though, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
643 Posts
Seriously though both the EVo and the STI do not have true forged pistons. They are labeled as forged as they are a HELL of a lot stronger then run of the mill cast crap for a NA application. ROds are forged, you crank should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
the comment that the evo is being pushed to its last limits is just plain ignorant..... no matter who said it.. maybe it's 'cus the evo is more hardcore, and makes more noises?.. i don't know why anyone would just say that outright with nothing to back it up...

there's a guy with 518whp ("Alfriedesq" on EvolutionM.net if you wanna look it up) right now with stock internals in his usdm evo8!.. this is at only 22psi with a 50 shot on an HKS3037 kit.. he's around 450-460 without spraying..

what's the most powerful usdm sti so far?.. i'm seriously interested in seeing what they can do/handle vs the wrx..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
It all boils down to how long the motors have been around. 4g63--10 years! Ej257? About 3 months. You won't see any STIs with impressive output until a programmable ECU is available, and then people will start exploring the limits.

The limits of the 4g63 are *well* known. People know exactly how to extract power from it.

My civic makes 300 whp, but who cares? There are dozens of civics in my civic that make more, a few that make twice that. Just like the 4g63, the tricks for B series motors are well known.


spooldswede said:
the comment that the evo is being pushed to its last limits is just plain ignorant..... no matter who said it.. maybe it's 'cus the evo is more hardcore, and makes more noises?.. i don't know why anyone would just say that outright with nothing to back it up...

there's a guy with 518whp ("Alfriedesq" on EvolutionM.net if you wanna look it up) right now with stock internals in his usdm evo8!.. this is at only 22psi with a 50 shot on an HKS3037 kit.. he's around 450-460 without spraying..

what's the most powerful usdm sti so far?.. i'm seriously interested in seeing what they can do/handle vs the wrx..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
spooldswede said:
the comment that the evo is being pushed to its last limits is just plain ignorant..... no matter who said it.. maybe it's 'cus the evo is more hardcore, and makes more noises?.. i don't know why anyone would just say that outright with nothing to back it up...

there's a guy with 518whp ("Alfriedesq" on EvolutionM.net if you wanna look it up) right now with stock internals in his usdm evo8!.. this is at only 22psi with a 50 shot on an HKS3037 kit.. he's around 450-460 without spraying..

what's the most powerful usdm sti so far?.. i'm seriously interested in seeing what they can do/handle vs the wrx..
what color is your car? may have seen you driving around town...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
happasaiyan said:
what color is your car? may have seen you driving around town...
i got a black evo with renn-art.com over the left side of the hood.. i live in the wrigleyville area, but hang out in the burbs a lot too...

do u go to any regular meets?.. i'd like to check some wrx/sti meets out as well..

i go to hooters most wednesday nights (on golf in schaumburg).. good times!.. u should show up sometime!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
spooldswede said:
i got a black evo with renn-art.com over the left side of the hood.. i live in the wrigleyville area, but hang out in the burbs a lot too...

do u go to any regular meets?.. i'd like to check some wrx/sti meets out as well..

i go to hooters most wednesday nights (on golf in schaumburg).. good times!.. u should show up sometime!
hmm...i think thats the only color evo i havent seen so far! i live 5 mins from wrigleyville, and drive past there everyday haha. the only "meets" i go to are the occasional meet up at dunkin robbins on milwaukee. i dont have enough time to go to meets during the week, so i usually go there on a friday or saturday, if im not doing anything else. what mods do you have? i wonder how it would fare against mine...:D
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top