Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

As I am sure many of you have thought about 400HP WRX/STI, and wondering how much it can cost to obtain and have it be semi reliable without blowing it to hell. Now this post is not to talk about risk of engine, blowing up pistons ect, its a post to let you know what you need and the cost to do it.

My STI hit 408/425 at 21 PSI of boost w/ E85. It is running a low tune and held here to not blow pistons until forge motor is ready. This Setup has the possibility of hitting 500 with a forged motor.

Current mod's:

Cobb Short Ram w/ Airbox:$335
Invidia 3' downpipe:$595
Invidia N1 catback exhaust: $690
Process West FMIC: $1291
Blouch Dominator 1.5 Turbo: $1650
AEM High Flow fuel Pump: $150
1300 CC injectors: $960
Subaru 3 Port Boost Controller: $115
Cobb Inlet:$195
Subaru Line/Rail Kit: $690
Cobb Turbo Heat Shield: $65
Cobb Access Port V3:$650
TOMEI Headers W/ upipe: $799
Subaru Fuel Pressure kit: $225
Flex Fuel Sensor Kit : $600
Subaru Fuel Pressure regulator kit: $300
Subaru Rail Line Kit x3 $450

Flex Fuel Tune: $1000

2016 Subaru STI: $34800.

Total Cost For Parts: $9760
Total Cost For Tune: $1000
Total Cost For STI: $34800

Total Cost For 400 HP: $45,560.

This does not include cost for labor, I did all the labor myself. With labor you'd be looking at roughly 5k more.

I will post dyno's later this week. Just a fun little post for those looking/wanting to reach this power level with the cost of it and having a realistic view of it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Save 5k in reserve for a new motor and add that to your cost. That's a lot of money for an unreliable STI. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that a Golf R will run you 40k. With minor upgrades, you'll get more reliable power out of it for less money than with a STI, not to mention an easier to live with car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
400 it’s a crap ton of power for a stock block. Good tune or not, it’s days are numbered. They struggle to be reliable at stock power

Clearly you didn't read the first paragraph, this is not about the days being number, it's just a public FYI with cost of everything. E85 runs much colder than regular gas and detonation is less likely and will hold up, but yes, this engine will not last forever, as the pistons are first to go at 400.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Save 5k in reserve for a new motor and add that to your cost. That's a lot of money for an unreliable STI. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that a Golf R will run you 40k. With minor upgrades, you'll get more reliable power out of it for less money than with a STI, not to mention an easier to live with car.
For sure, Its a lot of money to drop into a STI, and as it says a fully forged motor is being built, but if this is what the cost is if you want to do without one and get one when it blows ect. If you want more bang for your buck, there are a lot of other cars that will make this power for much cheaper, such as v8s.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The most expensive thing with a new motor too is the labor costs to take out and put back in, and then break-in tune and tune tune. If you can do everything yourself without tune you'd be looking at 3.5-4k for a good motor. I recommend selling the stock short block before blowing as you can get about 1500 for it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
As long as you can afford the time for your car to be down. I wouldn't allow that for my daily driver, which is what the STI is meant for. Why not buy and older one and tear into it? Just a question, not a suggestion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm sorry, didn't you JUST buy an 18 STI like.. less than a week ago.

·
Registered
171 Posts
@OP,
since everybody here seems to be so uptight in telling you all these negative things even after they just bought a new car themselves or don't own WRX's anymore, congrats on your build.

I personally know somebody with similar mods to that on a hatchback STI (bigger turbo though) running very similar numbers (also tuned down for reliability) and he's been running it for 22k miles.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
^Yep. I have a 2018 STI. I love it. Just because I recently purchased my vehicle doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the obvious reliability issues. Hence the car being stock so I can back my apprehensions up with my warranty.

OP, good luck with your build. I hope you make good power and I hope you have a lot of responsible fun with the car. As I said before, save some extra money in reserve in case your motor goes, which it probably eventually will.

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
@OP,
since everybody here seems to be so uptight in telling you all these negative things even after they just bought a new car themselves or don't own WRX's anymore, congrats on your build.

I personally know somebody with similar mods to that on a hatchback STI (bigger turbo though) running very similar numbers (also tuned down for reliability) and he's been running it for 22k miles.
I’m glad you think that. I guess you missed Zach’s long history of several Subaru’s not to mention the 3 year stint with the sti previous to the one he just acquired.

I personally know a lot of people with a lot of things that are uncommon. It doesn’t change the facts and skimming over that for the op just to hype him on his car is unhelpful. It’s important to keep a realistic view or you end up as one of the countless doofuses who can’t figure out why they trashed their car.

Op your car had a long storied issue with blown pistons at even stock levels. So keep it in mind as you are deciding how and when to drive it. Replacing the short block is not a small task or a cheap one

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally know a lot of people with a lot of things that are uncommon. It doesn’t change the facts and skimming over that for the op just to hype him on his car is unhelpful. It’s important to keep a realistic view or you end up as one of the countless doofuses who can’t figure out why they trashed their car.

Op your car had a long storied issue with blown pistons at even stock levels. So keep it in mind as you are deciding how and when to drive it. Replacing the short block is not a small task or a cheap one
REREAD the second paragraph of the post. Here ill even bold and underline it for you.

My STI hit 408/425 at 21 PSI of boost w/ E85. It is running a low tune and held here to not blow pistons until forge motor is ready. This Setup has the possibility of hitting 500 with a forged motor.

Its real sad, I even said it in the first post not to turn this into a your going to blow you engine post, yet some of you continue to do this. This was a a educational informative post, as I know many wonder how much it costs to get it 400 and hard to find a post that states that, as many don't want to post cost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As long as you can afford the time for your car to be down. I wouldn't allow that for my daily driver, which is what the STI is meant for. Why not buy and older one and tear into it? Just a question, not a suggestion.
It's not my DD, I have a 18 WRX also. This is my summer fun car and is stored during winter, since I live in WI.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^Yep. I have a 2018 STI. I love it. Just because I recently purchased my vehicle doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the obvious reliability issues. Hence the car being stock so I can back my apprehensions up with my warranty.

OP, good luck with your build. I hope you make good power and I hope you have a lot of responsible fun with the car. As I said before, save some extra money in reserve in case your motor goes, which it probably eventually will.
Thanks man! I have a forge motor being built right now, and won't be ready until Dec. Once that is done, were pushing it up to 500.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@OP,

Thank you! hope this is helpful for someone that's wondering about it! I had the help to make it w/ Cobb and Blouch, and both said on E85 this should be semi reliable as long as I take care of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
REREAD the second paragraph of the post. Here ill even bold and underline it for you.

Its real sad, I even said it in the first post not to turn this into a your going to blow you engine post, yet some of you continue to do this. This was a a educational informative post, as I know many wonder how much it costs to get it 400 and hard to find a post that states that, as many don't want to post cost.
I can read. However you gave no indication of a time frame for the shortblock. There is also a solid 16 years of vehicles here with ej engines and well documented failures and reasons for said failures. You can err on the side of caution and presented data or just wing it. It’s not enjoyable to browse through tons of threads with people complaining about how the platform sucks because they made an ill informed decision.

It’s great that you’ve collected and presented the data for the target. We are a slower forum and don’t always see the information. We have to browse around usually to nasioc.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,807 Posts
Did OP mean "forged" motor or am I missing a brand reference? I ask because a forged motor isn't going to increase long-term reliability if the history we've seen is to be considered representative of the odds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thank you! hope this is helpful for someone that's wondering about it! I had the help to make it w/ Cobb and Blouch, and both said on E85 this should be semi reliable as long as I take care of it.
I have heard positives and negatives. I chatted with another guy yesterday who ran a protune and flex fuel and blew it up after 15 HPDE days.

I think the best thing you can do is to make sure you do supporting mods and keep up with maintenance.

if it blows, it blows. When you're almost doubling the WHP of what a car comes with, it's probably to be expected regardless of what it is (notable engines aside like evos and 2jz)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts