Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought this '03 WRX w/ stage 2 turbo. Got the stock muffler welded back on yesterday. Ahhh, peace and quiet.... wait, what's this very bassy air sound that is giving me a headache now? It starts at about 40 mph, all the time. Best way I can describe it is a very low bass sound, very hollow and resonatey, like air blowing hard through a large opening. Which makes me think about the air intake and hood scoop. I don't know enough about the car yet to try and diagnose it myself, and my searches have found plenty of "what's this noise?" questions, but none that seem quite like this. It happens with windows open or closed, with heat and a/c on or off, with the roof rack on or off, while accelerating and coasting. Any ideas?

Edit: would certain tires or rims create such a noise? I'll post tomorrow what kind of tires are on it.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
Yeah it could be the tires. Can you get a clip of the sound?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I feel a little stupid now.

Had a guy at a shop near my work ride in it with me briefly. He first said wheel bearings, then doubted himself, saw the car's reflection in a building, said roof rack, then we got back up to speed and he showed me how you could feel with your hand the vibrations on the roof, which is a great tip and worth posting I think.

Yesterday I took the roof basket off but still heard the sound, but I only drove it for a very short amount of time at 40 mph. Either that wasn't enough, or it was the more-so the roof rack cross bars and not the basket. I zip-tied the baffle back up onto the basket (previous owner had given it to me off the car, but it was a little broken), and sound is basically gone, this time with plenty of testing.

Thanks for the responses, sorry for the stupid thread :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts