Subaru WRX Forum banner

4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  WRX John 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection Sealant? I am on a never-ending quest for the best paint sealants, waxes, and LSP's. I tried 4 Star UPP for the first time last weekend and I really like it so far. I was curious if anyone has used it and, specifically, can speak to its durability.

Thanks!
Joeburin77

#3 ·
Curious as to why, as you are looking for durability, why you are stopping with a sealant, not instead going with a silica based, ceramic nano-coating -- which lasts much, much longer.

I used Wolfgang Uber Ceramic on my 2017 WRX and my wife's Mazda 3 GT -- both immediately after probably the the same initital preparation/correction processes you use to, e.g., Dawn, IronX, clay bar or fine nanoscrub mit, polishing, IPA, and only then the LSP.

I love the fact that a good silica ceramic nano-coating is roughly 8 times harder than clear coat, providing fantastic protection against swirl marks, light scratches, etc.

And on top of that, I use any good wax 2x/year, and as the finishing step for each time I wash the car, I use Griot's Spray on Wax to keep it looking super shiny.

#4 ·
I get why a lot of people are fans of ceramic coatings. And yes, they do offer crazy durability. I may try a coating someday. But for me, I still prefer a traditional sealant/wax combo. While many coatings are advertised as being scratch and swirl proof, they are not. And here is the kicker. What do you do if you notice that your coating has scratches and swirls in it? My understanding is that you cannot do a traditional paint correction. You have to remove the coating. And the coating is so durable and tough that it is very difficult to remove the coating without damaging the paint.

Yes, coatings can last a couple years. But what do you do once those 2 years are up? I read that the coatings don't simply wear off. They eventually lose the hydrophobic properties but otherwise remain on the paint. How do you get the coating off?

I actually really enjoy applying the sealant/wax combo once every 6 months. So far, the 4 Star UPP topped by Collinite 915 is a winning combo. Plus, after every wash, I follow up with Meguiars D156 Synthetic Spray.

I don't think coatings are bad at all and totally get why many people like them. But for me personally, the sealant/wax is a better match for my needs and preferences.

#5 · (Edited)
I too love Collinite, thought I use Collinite 845. I like its extra durability -- as I live on a gravel road. I use if over my ceramic nano-coating for a touch extra shine.

I agree that 915 will give more shine, though with a slight loss in durability.

I have not had an issue with scratches on my nano ceramic, though if I did, all that would be necessary would be to gently work its surface with a very light polish, then re-apply another coat of nano ceramic.

All that matters is that we have choices, and each deciding what is best for them.

#8 ·
Thanks, WRX John. Just curious, how well does the Collinite work on top of the coating? I thought other than toppers specifically designed for coatings, traditional waxes or sealants just wash off the coating after the first or second wash. How long does the Collinite last if it is on top of your coating?

Thank you,
Joeburin77

#9 ·
Sorry, I do not know, for I do Collinite just twice a year, and in-between, after each wash, I use Griots Spray on Wax as part of my drying process.

All I know if that my cars look great when washed, with a nice shine. Here, for example, is our 2006 Z06 when, nine years and 33,000 miles after we bought it, is how it looked when we turned it in on our new C7 Z06. Full disclosure, this car never got a ceramic nano-coating, and did not sit outside in the sun while at work (day after day or similar).

Attachments

#10 ·
Your Z06 looks like it is in a showroom. Love the shine.

I used to dry using Meguiars D156 Spray Wax as a drying agent, which I am guessing is similar to the Griot's Spray Wax. Now I dry using AmmoNYC hydrate. Then I apply the Meguiars D156. I love both Hydrate and Meguiars D156.

Here is a fairly recent pic of my 2016 WRX after I used ONR rinseless wash, Ammonyc Hydrate, and Meguiars D156:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.